xvii. another one

SEVENTEEN; ANOTHER ONE

   With every witness that the Cullen's managed to gather—whether it by personal invitation or general word of mouth—Haven felt a small ball of hope grow inside her.

   Vampires came from all over the world—Egypt, Ireland, Alaska, and the Amazon. Groups of them continually showed up to the Cullen house and were all won over by Renesmee. Although that didn't surprise Haven much at all, she figured that girl could charm almost anyone and she was technically not even a year old.

   With Jasper and Alice now gone, they needed as many people to attest to their claim as they could. And the witnesses grew in numbers, but not just with vampires. All of the Quileutes were prepared to stand with the Cullen's—and not only because of Haven and Jacob. They wanted to protect their land from the ancient ruling vampires that would eventually show their face. Haven's parents were going to stand with them as well. And they also gained an ally in Haven's cousin, Isabelle, who had offered her services in whatever way she could be of use. In exchange Haven was going to teach her all she knew.

   "Lot of red eyes round here," Jacob mumbled to both Haven and Bella, who stood beside him in the large living room of the Cullen house. Well, the room usually looked big but Jacob was right—there were many vampires occupying the space now, making it look tiny in comparison.

   Not to mention wherever Haven seemed to walk in the house, a majority of the eyes followed her. No matter how many times Carlisle pressed that she was on their side.

   Apparently they didn't trust a hunter—especially Haven Eldridge. She herself didn't trust any of their visitors either, but at least she had the decency to give them the benefit of the doubt. It seemed they didn't share that same sentiment. Word had definitely gotten round about her time with the Volturi, just like the vampire she killed in Miami had said.

   "They promised they wouldn't hunt in the area," Bella mumbled back, although Haven had no clue why either of them were speaking in such hushed tones. Everyone in the room has enhance hearing, there would be no whispered secrets or low spoken words. Everything was open.

   Haven watched Jacob glance at her and an almost look of guilt passed over his face. Haven didn't like the way it pulled on his features, almost aging him a few years. He didn't deserve to feel like that, nobody did. But especially coming from him, Haven's heart ached. He spoke rather sombrely now, "They have to feed somewhere."

   That was their nature, was the response that Haven had formed in her head. But she didn't speak it and the brunette was almost sure that was because she didn't believe it—not truly, not deeply. Everybody had a choice, the Cullen's showed that with the diet they chose. Others could do the same. They could always chose to save people.

   Just like she chose not to hunt the Cullen's when she first arrived. Same with the Quileutes.

   Her heart twinged slightly at the thought of people dying. She understood that look of guilt, almost grief, that had passed visibly through her boyfriend now. It was helpless, like you were shouting down an empty, dead end for help. They couldn't change an entire species way of living, even if it may be for the greater good

   Haven wished that they all didn't have to be here, but this was for Renesmee. For her dad. And for her. A chance to stand up to the tyrannic vampire rulers that only stayed in power by inflicting fear into those around them.

   It was for her family—and to Haven, family was everything. She would do whatever it took to keep them safe.

   Due to the overwhelming number of vampires in the Forks area, this had caused many Quileutes to turn. It was their instinct to protect their land from vampires and many younger boys were now shifting to do so. That had kept Jacob pretty busy once Haven and him had returned from Miami with Isabelle by their side.