Chapter 5: A painful truth

Sheba was sitting in front a graveyard, her friend Momo sleeping behind her. She had a sad look on her face, recalling the events of the afternoon.

After a while, she became able to communicate with the young manticore rather easily. Then after getting quite close, she asked him about his family. Sheba noticed that there was only his mother inside the house so what about his father?

He died. Because of the Gunud system, he saw his father and his friend eating each other alive. He couldn't understand why. Never would they do such a thing in normal times, but because of the weird sound coming from the tower, none of them were able to control themselves.

Sheba was hit by guilt. She was responsible of so much suffering.

"It's quite sad, isn't it?"

The familiar voice made Sheba jump. She quickly turned around, to meet bright (e/c) orbs looking at her. She adverted her gaze, not wanting to look weak in front of her.

"How do you feel about that? Knowing that this is all because of you?"

Her grip tightens on her staff. Was she testing her?

"...I..."

"I've always liked graveyards. It's peaceful, yet it's filled with silent words and broken promises. Beautiful isn't it? The best way to remind you how what you lost."

Holding her staff closer to her chest, her lips started trembling.

"It's a wound that will never heal. So how do you feel about it? You were to one to hurt him.

"I already know that!"

Tears started streaming down the young girl's face. She tried muffling her sobs with her hands, only to break down again.

"I know that I would never be able to fix it! I know that no matter what I do, I would never erase what I've done-"

A comforting hand on her shoulder made her look back to the (h/c) haired girl, who knelt down in front of her, a warm smile on her feature.

"Sorry, I just wanted to be sure you realised your mistakes. Come here."

A warm embrace dried Sheba's tears, who hugged back, hiding her face in the crock of (Y/N)'s neck.

"From now, you have to move on. You cannot fix the past, but you can make a brighter future, alright?"

The little girl nod, wiping her tears on (Y/N)'s shoulder. Meanwhile, a young manticore had woken up, his sleepy eyes glancing at her friend and the same friendly woman he met. He came closer, nuzzling (Y/N)'s side, drifting into sleep again.

.

.

The next morning, it was time to leave the village. The resistance packed their things, greeting one last time their hosts before departing again. Solomon excitedly waved goodbye, while Sheba said a last goodbye to Momo, who gave her the picture book, and another flower.

Sheba took them, a small smile on her face. Then her expression turned into a more determined one. She looked at (Y/N), who gave her a confident smile.

"Um, guys? I would like to say something to the manticore people..."

The members of the resistance all turned to look at her. (Y/N) waved at Solomon, asking him to come closer. What he did. She quietly whispered in his ear, asking him to translate what Sheba could possibly say in manticore language.

The atmosphere was a little awkward. Sheba was scared, with all those eyes on her. When a warm hand landed on her shoulder she felt comfortable again, give a quick smile to (Y/N). The young girl took a deep breath before speaking.

"I'm sorry."

She bowed in front of the confused look of the audience.

"I'm the one responsible of the death of your people. I-I'm the one who killed your father...Momo..."

She glanced at the shock face of her friend.

"I was blind. I didn't want to face reality. What I've done is unforgivable, but still... I want to fix it. I want to fix everything. I know I can't bring you back the one you once loved, but please, let me try making things better."

Solomon translated everything successfully. All the members of the resistance, alongside with the manticores were left speechless.

Momo was the one to make the first move. Tears were streaming down his face. He came closer and hugged his friend. Now it was Sheba's turn to be left speechless. Momo then looked back at her, before speaking.

"I already knew... I wanted to know if you really were a monster... But you were so nice to me... No matter what you were in the past, you're no longer the same person... Right?"

More tears were shed on Sheba's side. She hugged close her friend, under comprehensive gazes, coming from both camps.

"Guess now we can leave peacefully."

Tapping (Y/N)'s shoulder, Solomon directed himself towards the exit, followed by all the members of the resistance, who just passed Sheba, giving her a smile she returned happily.

"Well then, Sheba sorry to interrupt you, but it's time to leave."

Sheba looked back towards (Y/N), before letting go of Momo, giving him a big smile that he returned.

The resistance then left the manticore village, light hearted.

.

.

"You're responsible of all of this, aren't you?"

Solomon and (Y/N) were quietly sitting on a flying carpet, heading back towards the HQ. Both were reading a book, side by side, while Sheba and the others were recalling her rather emotional speech.

"I don't know what you are talking about Solomon~"

He chuckled lightly. It would be like the hundredth time she denied any implication.

"She apologized for something she never thought would be wrong until yesterday."

"She started thinking about other's feelings without my help. No matter what she's still human, with all the empathy that comes with it."

A faint whirring came to (Y/N)'s ear, cutting short to their conversation. Solomon eyed quickly to her rather surprised face.

"What's the matter?"

"... Those are engine noises."

"Oh, guess they finally decided to show up."

Coming out of the mist the early morning, huge shadows and massive flying engines. It revealed that those shadows were the manticore tribe, under the same mind control spell, followed close by the members of the Orthodox church.

A trembling Sheba grabbed (Y/N)'s sleeve, petrified by shock.

"Why...? Just a moment ago they were all smiling. They were living normally, playing normally... They were all so kind, and yet..."

"Well, it's not different from what you did to them."

The little girl turned back to meet (Y/N)'s eyes. They were cold, piercing thought her mind.

"I-I..."

"Worst of all, you felt good inside for doing this. I don't think you have the right to judge."

"...Then why did you save me...?"

"Hm?"

"WHY DID YOU SAVE ME!? I SHOULD HAVE JUST DIED IN THIS TOWER!!"

The hand of Solomon on her shoulder made her look back at him, her tears streaming down her face again.

"Because we did not have the right to just die in that room. To die just like that would have been half-hearted. We still have things left to do. As long as we live."

A blinding light started emitting from Solomon and the wielders of divine staves. They stepped all in front of Sheba, preparing for battle.

************************************************

Things are starting to become epic! Hope you are ready for what is coming next ^^