The sound of panting distracts me from the two across the cart. I glance out of the doorway, suddenly wishing I hadn't. Jillian runs alongside the train cart, struggling to catch up to it enough to pull herself in. I sigh and grab hold of the handle before leaning out to take her hand. A look of surprise flashes across her face before she takes my hand and allows me to pull her in. Once inside, she brushes her pants off and mutters a 'thanks' before taking a seat next to her followers.

It was not long before Four announced that we were at our stop. Him and Eric leap out of the train, and the rest of us follow after them. We are near the fence, meaning Finn was right. The top of the fence is covered in barbed wire, and along the wall are armed guards.

"Some of you will end up working as a fence guard after initiation is over," Four says. "Lower ranked initiates usually end up here. If not here, then they end up working in the kitchen, daycare, or the infirmary."

"Those who rank higher get to choose their job first," Eric says. "The top three will be considered for a position in leadership, or something close to it. Ultimately, it is your choice as to what you job you get."

Shortly after arriving to the fence, we are catching the train again to head back to Dauntless.

"Stage two of training begins tomorrow at eight," Four says. "We'll meet in the dining hall before heading to the simulation room."

***
"I'm nervous," Tera says, from her seat on my right.

"For what?" Raiden says, from his seat on my left.

"What do you think?" She runs a hand through her hair and sighs.

"It won't be so bad," he says.

"A girl just came out of there sobbing," Tera snaps.

"Well, this is the emotional stage of training," he says with a grin.

She rolls her eyes and leans back in her chair, her leg bouncing. "That wasn't funny."

"I thought it was."

Their conversation ends when Four peeks his head around the door and calls for Raiden.

"Wish me luck," he says, standing up and walking toward Four.

"Good luck," I say, shifting in this uncomfortable chair.

We've been in the simulation waiting room for a while now, and only a few people have gone in and out.

"Tera," Eric's voice calls.

"I'm so lucky," she mutters. "I get Mr. Grouchy Pants."

I chuckle and wish her good luck. She walks toward the door and glances at me before closing it behind her. I glance at the clock on the wall and take note of the time. 10:14.

Shortly after Tera went in, Raiden exits the room and Four calls another Dauntless born in.

"Was it that bad?" I ask.

He glances up at me, his face pale and his eyes wide. "I'm not supposed to say anything."

"Okay," I say, "see you at lunch."

He nods and exits the room, more stiff than I have ever seen him.

About twenty minutes later, Tera comes out of the room, her face red and tear streaked. She exits the waiting room with her head down and without a word to me.

"Marnie," Eric's voice booms.

A tall blonde stands up and I realize she was on my team for capture the flag. She notices me looking and she tries to manage a small smile, which looks more like a grimace.