Chapter Fifteen

Well, today's the day I'm going home. Chase's friend bought him a ticket so we'll be on separate flights. Thank God, I don't know if I can deal with Chase's neediness, or his attitude anymore. But I can't wait to see Jake. I'm just finishing packing my things when I hear a knock on the door. I look and see Richard standing there. "Being that it's your last day, I thought you'd wanna go to Terry's with me and you could work on cutting with Squirt. I smile and set my bag aside. I grab my cowgirl hat and slip my boots on, "Ok, I'm game. Let's go." He chuckles and we head to the barn to load Squirt up. While he gets the trailer and truck in place, I fetch Squirt and make sure his tack is all in there and then I load him up. I tie him to the rail then I make sure the door is locked before I hop in the truck. Once we're on our way I can't help but get the sadness again. I always get too attached to everyone. Maybe I can detach myself from Chase? No, I know I can because I'll have my friends by my side. Wait, who are my friends? I have Jake, Cora, but I haven't seen her since last time I came down to Texas, umm would Rose be a friend? So basically, I have two or three friends. I remember before the accident, I had like seven and we'd all hang out together. But during that time I only had Crystal, and Rose. Now I only have Jake and Cora. Nice how things turn out in a matter of time.

I've made my mind. I'm going to end it with Chase when we get home. I will not let him bring me down. I'm going to stop cutting, I'm going to stop letting him walk all over me. I will stop his games. I warned him from day one, don't mess with me because there will be consequences to his actions. Yet I'm stupid enough to believe that he loved me, and that I kept letting him do what he did to me. This isn't how anyone should be treated. I hear Squirt kick his stall in the trailer and I notice we're close to Terry's. Good timing though, any longer and he'd be antsy. I immediately notice the outdoor arena. Richard parks on the side and I quickly unload Squirt. I only got a few hours to kill before I fly back home. I quickly saddle him up and head towards the arena. Terry waves at me and I tip my hat in response. He opens the gate and I walk in. I fall into routine. Get on, trot twice near the outer walls gallop twice, walk once, and bring them back to the middle. Make them back up then take off trotting. Lope then slowly go to a walk and stop. That usually takes around a half an hour. Terry goes and grabs a small remote. He tells me to go to the decoy, it's only a large foam ball on a wire that moves back and forth.

Once I nod at Terry that I'm ready he starts to hit buttons. Squirt knows what to do but its been years since I've did cutting. I pull up on the reins and I see Terry staring at me. "Don't worry about the horse, focus on the decoy." I nod and we go again. Yet my mind goes to Squirt and I almost fall out of the saddle. I grip the saddle horn and yell, "Stop!" I feel my frustration and anxiety bubbling inside of me. I can't focus right now and that's my biggest mistake. I'm supposed to forget everything while riding. I run my hands through my hair and put it up in a ponytail. Terry studies me for a while. "Ya know Lisa, last time I saw you, you weren't holding yourself back as much. I get the feeling this time, it has to do with a boy and you can't focus on anything because of him. Am I right?" I stare at him in shock and nod my head. He looks at the decoy then back at me. "Well, for now, forget that boy and focus on what you were born to do. Now get yourself ready and we'll do this again." I turn and adjust myself. I look over my shoulder and nod.

Suddenly I hear a beep. The decoy moves and I kick Squirt and we both go racing down towards the decoy. At the last minute it goes to the right and I yank on the right rein and kick hard. We speed after it and then it goes back to the left. This goes on for another ten to twenty minutes and when the decoy finally stops Squirt and I are both drenched in sweat. I hear Richard clapping while Terry says nothing but smiles. "Now there's the Lisa I knew years ago. Good work today." I nod and slide off the horse. I untack him, rinse him off, and load him back in the trailer. I head over to where Richard and Terry are standing. Suddenly Terry hands me a envelope. I read it and it says, "Meredith Manor Equestrian college." I stare at it. It's the most popular horse college down here in Texas. You'd gotta be really rich, have like Harvard grades, and gotta have a horse. I have none of those but it's my dream college. It costs like $15,000. I don't have that kind of money. "You're that good of a rider Lisa. I know it seems expensive, yet if you score a scholarship, then you'd save 5k at least maybe more. But only way to get that scholarship, is to compete and let schools know you're out there and you are that good." I stare at it some more. "Thank you Terry. I'll think about it. But thank you." I walk back to the truck and wait for Richard. Not even two minutes later he hops in truck and doesn't say anything. "Like I said before, you're always welcome here Lisa. Anne and I will pay for tickets for you to come here. I know the whole college thing is new and now another thing to stress about. But as long as you get yourself out there, you'll just do just fine." I only nod and we start driving back to the house. I have two hours before I fly back. I just can't wait to see Dakota and Jake.