Chapter 20: The Striking of Deals

Start from the beginning

"Yes, we figured as such." Loki said slowly, gesturing down to the hole. Hynola stepped forward, looking down at the hole. Her face immediately scrunched up and she covered her nose with her slim arm.

"You killed him?!" She hissed, looking around at us wildly.

"I did. He would have alarmed the rest of them and couldn't take the chance. The rug covered the blood well enough." I explained slowly.

"They will notice soon enough and return looking for him." She said, panic in her voice.

"How many warriors were there?" Orgnar asked.

"Nearly one hundred I would say. All looking for you and your company. They demanded information. So like I said before, they searched the village. Instead they found Nil," Hynola said softly. "The boy you first threatened," she clarified. "As I am sure your observant eyes noticed, this village is mostly woman besides the youngest infants and Nil. They took the boys and men over ten for their army. We were hiding Nil... and when they found him some of us were beaten," Hynola said very quietly.

"Why do they take the boys? Why do they need an army?" Sif spoke up, her brows knitted.

"We only found out this eve," she said more boldly. "They plan to raise an army and form alliances between outer tribes to march again onto Utgard- our capital where King Laufey is held. I believe that when you tried to reach Him to wage war, he purposely did not answer, knowing troops would be sent," she said, confidence growing. "I believe he set you up to diminish his outside threats, knowing once again you would attempt to march upon the capital. In doing so, after you eliminate his own threats, he will slaughter you."

"You are saying he is using us?" Volstagg said loudly, anger apparent in his brute voice. Thor looked at her angrily, as did all of us.

"Yes. He has ordered others to kill of any unworthy members of your group, Hynola said softly.

"They were not unworthy," said one of the foot soldiers bitterly, her eyes blazing with anger. We nodded slowly. Hynola shrugged.

"Why are you not turning us in?" Loki asked quietly, circling her slowly. "I am sure there is a high bounty laid upon our heads. Why not get the fame and glory of it all before those warriors return to your village?" Loki asked. He knew just what to say and part of me wondered if that is what he would have done if he was in this situation.

"I will be truthful," Hnyola said, lowering her gaze to the hut floorboards. "It was a very convincing offer, I almost took it." Heskell huffed behind us, throwing his hands up dramatically. I shoved my elbow back, hitting the center of his armor with my bony elbow. He let out a huff but did not act further. "But the offer of Laufey's head on a platter will forever be priceless to me," Hynola said bitterly.

"You want your own ruler dead?" Thor scoffed as though he thought it were a joke. Hynola nodded quickly.

"And soon. He ordered my husbands and sons to the tribe in which I believe sent the inbred warriors to Asgard. I fear they might be one of the fallen in Asgard's earth," she said sadly, but her blue face suddenly cleared of emotion, a bitter flash in her deep eyes. "I will strike you a deal if you will."

We glanced around at each other, a curious energy in us. Orgnar stepped forward to her and I moved out of the way.

"What deal?" He asked curiously, crossing his muscular arms in front of him. Hynola looked down at him, a small grim smile painted on her face.

"I and my maidens will provide you comfort, food, clothing, protection, hiding from the troops and what ever more you wish for until you have recovered enough and want to leave," she offered, leaning further onto her slim stick.