Part X: All for Naught

Adeen patted down her pockets frantically. She didn't have any magical items that worked against mind control. She didn't have the strength to defeat Evrett and contain Violet until the control ran out.... If it could run out. Heck, she couldn't mentally or physically stop Violet. Violet was probably the smartest half-orc around. Adeen neither wanted to nor could defeat her.

    Evrett turned to Violet, making eye contact. Violet shuddered. It didn't look like she'd be able to fight off the control. Adeen forced herself out of her moment of panic. She had to do something while she still could.

    Adeen's largest hammer crashed into Evrett's neck, throwing him off balance. In his own pain, he lost control of Violet.

    "HUAAAAAAAAAGH!" An orkish roar split the air. All the magic Violet had been building up released at once, and Evrett popped up like a cork out of a bottle. Adeen clenched her fists, shaking. She looked around wildly.

    Violet stood to her full height, brushing the ceiling of the tiny hut. Adeen flinched. "Adeen," She looked at her sister, and then at the man hanging from the chandelier, thin skull skewered on a crystal. "I love you." Both girls hugged. Their eyes squeezed shut to keep the tears from spilling, but the tears streamed down anyway.

    Adeen looked at Violet once they had pulled away, eyes glistening with the potential 'what if'. "Where's Dad?" Adeen asked her sister. Violet abruptly turned towards the back room and opened the door. Facing the door was a simple wooden chair. Tied to the chair was the dead body of the only man to tap the magic of the dark forest and live.

    Violet choked. The two stood facing the scene for a long time, leaning on each other. Adeen took a step forward with a heavy heart and took a sharpened screwdriver from her tool belt. She started to clumsily cut at the ropes binding the man who had taken her from the doorstep and raised her from infancy.

    A while later the girls stood back to see what they had done. Their father lay under a pile of rocks behind the shack where he had drawn his last breath. Their father, Fadell Castle, the man who had taken them both in. He had been a single father raising three odd children. He always had infinite patience. He protected them always and let Violet make her own decisions, even if they were made with bad judgement, respecting her choice to leave when she did. He was the one who taught Adeen how to tinker, making use of her people's natural talent, and Violet how to cast spells, despite her orkish drawbacks. He even taught Johnathan to be an upstanding citizen. (Johnathan didn't use those skills once before he died). They loved him to the moons and back and now he was gone. Violet didn't even get to say goodbye.

    The sun had started to set and Violet gently put her hand on Adeen's head. It was all she could reach without bending over. They both turned their back to their father and started the long trek home.