Chapter 51

It was dark. And really late. It had been a long day.

The boys walked slowly through the path in the forest. With a shovel in hand, Yoongi led the pack with a very jumpy Hoseok. He held onto Yoongi’s arm snapping at every direction at the slightest of the sound. Had anyone seen them, would think they were up to no good.

Yoongi turned around to look at the others, Joon in particular. His hand automatically went to his pocket and clutched his phone. Closing his eyes, he resisted the urge to pull it out and check a certain text.

I can’t deceive him. You are his best friend. Until things get okay at home, I can’t meet you. I’m sorry.

Those words were etched in his brain. He had read it a thousand times by now. Each time in a different tone. But the meaning never changed.

When he had left three years ago, he had thought he’d be the one to move on first. Turns out, he was the one who couldn’t.

He had almost let his secret out on Noraebang night while he was drunk. He thanked the heavens that he didn’t. If he had, she would have hated him forever.

Joon, oblivious to Yoongi’s worries, was tensed for quite other reasons. The tyre that he had put in the trunk, was seen where Juan’s friend was found dead.

He prayed to the skies for it to be a different tyre, of a different rare edition Skull board, owned by someone else in their tiny district.

Sighh.

Jimin walked with Jin, still supporting him however possible. He seemed weaker now.

As Jin pulled on the neck of his light blue sweater, Jimin asked him,

“Is the sweater too uncomfortable? You keep stretching it.”

Jin just shook his head with a smile. Watching his hyung, Jimin couldn’t help but feel a little worried.

Those events from three years ago might be haunting him.
Jimin thought.

But he noticed his hyung’s concern for Joon as they walked.

Of course, Joon hyung had always been there for him.

Jin slowly picked up pace to get beside Joon. As he tried to loosen the neckline of his sweater, he said,
“Please remain calm Joonah,” as he patted Joon’s back.

Out of frustration Joon shrugged his shoulders, pushing Jin’s hand away.

“I want to be alone,” he mumbled and walked away from his hyung.

Jin stopped at his tracks at the rejection, staring at the boy who had just left. An arm linked through his own, pulling him, as Jimin came by his side again.

“It’s okay. Let him be,”
He said to his heartbroken hyung. Joon’s behaviour had disappointed him.

But he wasn’t the only one. Hoseok had noticed it too.

Kookie and Tae walked side by side, occasionally glancing at each other.
Tae needed an opportunity to resume where they had left off.

But even if he did, he didn’t know what to say. It was too awkward now. He wanted to hold Kookie’s hand but he couldn’t decide if it would mean the same.

Kookie’s confession had certainly affected him. Which was why it was important to talk. He also worried if the others would notice the change in their behaviour.

But since the major situation in hand was scary enough, no one had noticed the distance between them.

Kookie wasn’t scared anymore. He felt relieved. As if a huge burden was off of his chest. After years of silence he had finally opened up.

As long as Taehyung hyung is in my life, I don’t care what our relationship is, I’ll be happy.

He reassured himself.