The Detention

Chapter 4: The Detention

Harry and Ron had already gnawed through half of their candy by Monday night. The two boys went to bed late after their sugar rush wore off. They slept longer than usual, and woke up at eight-fifteen, Tuesday morning, breakfast was almost over. They got dressed as quickly as possible and ran down to the great hall as fast as they could.

“You guys are late.  Breakfast is almost over.” Hermione spoke in a ticked off tone.

Ron sat down beside her and Harry sat across from the two as usual.

“Sorry, ‘Mione, Harry and I slept in.” Ron apologized.

They had to rush through breakfast so that they wouldn’t be late for Care of Magical Creatures with Harry’s friend and favorite teacher, Rubeus Hagrid. The Gryffindors walked across Hogwarts ground and over to Hagrid’s hut on the edge of the forbidden forest. Soon after they got there, the Slytherins arrived, and so did Hagrid.

“’Ello, Class. Today we will be continuin’ ‘ar lesson on Willie whackers,” Hagrid said, looking at the cute, white, fluffy, hairy thing that resembled a large marshmallow, “Now these creatures prefer a girl’s touch, we’ll have the girls come up ‘ere firs’, but we will have the buoy’s up too, if we can.”

  Most of the girls gathered around Hagrid, leaving the boys and a few girls behind. This gave Harry an opportunity to admire Draco, but he couldn’t do this properly because his friends struck up a conversation.

“We have double potions today, don’t we?” Ron asked with a disgusted look on his face.

“Unfortunately, we do.” Hermione answered with a sigh.

“I don’t know what could be worse than being in the same room as Snape for three and a half hours.”

“Well I can think of one thing Ronald, and that is being stuck in the same room with both Malfoy AND Snape for three and a half hours.” Hermione said, having to top Ron as always.

Ron groaned and buried his face in his hands.

“What about Malfoy?” Harry asked not taking his eyes off Draco.

“Nothing, why do you care about that ferret?” Ron asked.

“I don’t. Just, please don’t talk about him right now; I’m already mad enough at him for getting me detention.” Harry wasn’t really mad about the detention. He just wasn’t in the mood for them badmouthing Draco.

After lunch the Gryffindors and the Slytherins headed towards the dungeons to Snape’s Potions class room. The two houses entered just as Snape did.

“Good Afternoon, class. Today we will be learning to make the truth serum, Vertiserum.” Snape spoke in his usual cold voice, “I will be dividing you into partners, Parvati Patil with Lavender Brown, Hermione Granger with Pansy Parkinson, Ronald Weasley with Blaise Zabini, Vincent Crabbe with Gregory Goyle, Neville Longbottom with Millicent Bulstrode, and Dean Thomas with Seamus Finnegan, and Draco Malfoy with Harry Potter.”