Part 2: Chapter 1

ONCE I HANG up my phone, I tuck it into the inside pocket of my jacket, out of sight and on silent.

"Garth, I'm going to try and distract him while you get as many patients out of here as you can," I tell him calmly, digging behind the counter as I try to find a potential weapon.

"On my signal," I add as he nods reluctantly.

I stand up from behind my shield and push people behind me towards the doors.

By the time I make it to the front of the crowd, a gun is already pointed at my head and it is not the gun of the man in the chair.

"Dr. Wilde is it; just couldn't stand to be apart from the action?" The man holding the gun grins as he reads the badge on my jacket.

He doesn't look nervous at all, instead, he looks at ease; as if this is his element. Knowing this causes fear to rise just the slightest.

His suit is pressed and he looks like your normal businessman. A shock of tamed chestnut hair and briefcase at his side.

I don't even begin to speculate what might be in that case.

"So, what is it you do Dr. Wilde?" The man sneers.

I hear the noise in the room grow lesser and lesser as more people flood out.

"I float; my specialty is Neurology," I reply nonchalantly just as he takes the gun off me for the briefest moment to shoot at the ceiling before bringing it back to level with me.

People scream in horror and fear as another man I don't know slams the door shut and locks it.

When I make the count, I realize there are six doctors including me and fifteen patients or kin of patients in the room.

Twenty-one hostages. Three guns. A possible bomb. The odds really aren't in my favor.

"What do you want from us?" I growl angrily, crossing my arms.

"It's not a collective effort darling; we only need something from one of you," A man pipes up from among the hostages, bringing our number of hostages down to twenty, but raising the number of guns to four.

"Who and what would that be?" I question, my eyes flickering to notice his lips curl into a disgusting grin.

"Well; I'm not entirely sure, the file was sealed; but I do know she is the wife of an FBI Agent and was in the bureau herself for a while," The man replies, examining his fingernails.

I mask all emotion on my face as I stare him down, refusing to let myself look away.

"Ok, so this is getting rather boring; well, here's the deal everyone; every half hour I will be killing a hostage until this woman is given up so you may decide what to do with that knowledge," He chuckles darkly, plopping into a chair as he waits for someone to crack.

Suddenly, the office phone rings and Carrie the nurse scrambles to grab it wildly.

"Carrie, leave it!" I yell as the man stalks towards her angrily, just as she gets it off the hook.

"God, help us!" She screams into the phone just before he pulls the trigger.

She crumples to the ground, clutching her wounded shoulder as she whimpers in pain.

The phone dangles over the edge of the counter, covered in blood. The man daintily grabs a plastic glove and uses it as a barricade between him and the phone as he picks it up.

"Mercy West; how may we be of assistance?" He grins, clicking a button to put it on speaker.

"This is SSA Hotchner and I understand you have hostages," Hotch's voice floods from the phone gruffly.

"Correct SSA Hotchner and oh dear, it seems like one of them is already injured; good thing we're in a room full of doctors," He chuckles.

I can hear Hotch's voice catch, but he continues on like nothing has happened as he attempts to reason with the man.

"Hey asshat, you going to let one of us actually help her?" I question, motioning to Carrie.

It's true I am worried about Carrie, but I also want Hotch to know I'm ok.

"Take the gun off her and let her play doctor," He orders the man holding the gun trained on me.

It seems so blatantly easy; I could take the man in front of me hostage no problem.

The thing is; the leader of this whole thing doesn't seem to care about his minions.

I staunch the bleeding on Carrie quickly as I grab a tray of tools to work.

Luckily enough for her, the bullet missed every fun little thing in her shoulder; leaving her with a flesh wound.

"Thank god," I mumble under my breath.

"Dr. Wilde, are we going to be ok?" Carrie questions softly.

"I'm not sure Carrie, I'm not sure," I sigh as I crack open the antiseptic to clean her wound.

My resources are quite limited, but I manage to patch up her wound and lean her against the back wall.

"Natalia, what are we gonna do?" Garth whispers as the men float around the room, searching the pockets of every doctor and patting them down.

I duck behind the counter just a bit so they can't see us and yank out my phone.

I quickly do a hard reset of my phone and when it finally comes back on, I dial Spence's number and tuck the silent phone behind a box of surgical gloves in the counter.

"This is what we're going to do for now Garth," I sigh before standing up from behind the counter in order to be patted down.