Chapter 17

"You Say It First. Say It. Say It Like You Mean It"
○------------------------------------------------○

THE FOG SETTLES IN around me as my feet carry me to the mahogany coffin covered in white roses.

The crowd is starting to disperse, they're getting ready to bury her. I need to say goodbye though, I can't leave without doing so.

"Nat, breathe," Spence whispers and it's then I notice my ragged breathing.

I nod my head silently and attempt to control the sobs threatening to wrack my body.

"Mommy, why are you crying?" Kylie questions, tugging at her frilly black dress.

I sigh, and crouch down to her level, "Mommy's sad because Aunty Mia passed away," I tell her, hoping she'll finally understand.

"Does that mean I can't see her any more?" Kylie questions curiously, shuffling her little Mary Jane's in the fresh dirt.

"Yes baby, that means you can't see her anymore," I murmur, my eyes flicking to Spence hopefully.

"Hey Kylie, let's go wait in the car for your mom, ok?" He coos, tugging her towards the gates of the cemetery gently.

I stare at their retreating forms for a moment before I place my hand on the coffin in silence.

I shiver a bit as gales of wind shake the branches of the tree above my head

"Mia...I'm...I'm sorry this happened, I wish you could of told me about the baby though- why didn't you, why Mia?" I sob, sinking to my knees.

I had thought I would be able to hold it together, but this is definitely not what I had hoped for.

○○○○○○○

The gun fires wildly and my eyes widen in fear as I notice who's on the receiving end of the bullet.

Kylie.

I'm too far away, the bullet's moving so fast. We all freeze like deer in headlights. Unless you count Mia.

It's like slow motion as she dives, successfully pushing the preoccupied Kylie out of the path of the bullet.

Mia's not as lucky, the bullet striking her in the chest. Blood pours from the wound and my first reaction is to turn my gun on Nicholas.

His eyes are cold, calculating as he starts to raise his own gun.

My bullet flies first and I rush to Mia when he falls with Dan on my heels.

"Oh god, no no no, god, she's pregnant!" He screams, pulling her head into his lap as she lets out one last shaky breath.

"Nat, Nat, wake up!" Spence's voice commands, his hand tight on my shoulder as he shakes me.

"Huh, what?" I yell, bolting upwards, cracking my head against his.

"Owww!" Spence moans, clutching his forehead as my brain finally registers where I am.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" I blurt out, quickly examining his head for any noticeable injuries.

"Nat, I'm fine; was it another one?" He questions, staring at me intently.

"Yes," I murmur, swinging my legs out of bed.

"Are you sure you want to go in?" He questions worriedly.

"I'm sure Spence, it's been four months, I need a distraction," I sigh, trudging to the bathroom.

"Alright, I'm going to go make breakfast and we'll head in together," He calls out, swinging my bedroom door open to a patiently waiting Kylie.

"Spencey, I'm hungry," She grumbles, her hair in knots.

"Kylie, come let mommy do your hair and then you can go have breakfast," I offer as she races over.

I break out my trusty detangling spray and start the process, the silence being puntured by her whimpers as I attempt to tug the brush through.

"Am I going to Aunty Garcia's after school again mommy?" She asks during a brief respite from her hollering.

"Yeah and you even get to sleep over this time!" I smile at her in the mirror, starting to braid her hair.

"Awesome, she said we could play doctor," She giggles, bouncing a bit.

"Well, you better pack your doctor kit in your backpack before you go to school then," I chuckle, sending her off on her way to get ready for school.

When she leaves, I let out a deep breath before quickly showering and sliding on a sensible outfit.

I dig in my closet and pull out my briefcase, shaking the dust from the top of it with a slight smile slipping onto my lips.

I rush from the room and to the kitchen, the smell of burning bacon wafting to my nose.

"Mommy, Spencey burned breakfast!" Kylie yells, pointing her finger to a sheepish Spence.

"I only burned the edges," Spence replies, nodding towards the charred bacon.

The eggs are no better so I dump them out and yank a box of Cheerio's down from the top of the cabinet.

They're half filled, although I had only bought them the day before.

"I don't even want to know how you got to these," I yawn, pouring each of us a bowl.

Once again, Kylie points her finger towards Spence, who pauses slightly before shrugging, "Cheerio's are very good for your health, 1.8 million boxes of them were sold the first year they debuted alone," He rattles off.

"Spence..." I start before trailing off.

"Yeah?" He mumbles through a mouthful of Cheerios.

"I love you," I smile, taking us both off guard.

He pushes away his bowl and wraps me in a hug.

"Natalia Wilde, I love you too," He whispers in my ear.

"Bleggh, gross," Kylie moans from her seat, causing us to both turn her way.

"It's true," She shrugs before taking another bite of her Cheerios.

A/N:
Ok, where do I start? Ah, I know. First I'm going to apologize for killing off a pregnant Mia.
I know I previously said this:

Buuuttttt...yeah...apparently I am that horrible.👍
Also I know this chapter is a little bit filler, I also wanted to highlight the extent of Natalia & Spencer's relationship. And also, yay, first "I love you"!