Chapter 16

"There Are Two Gifts We Should Give Our Children; Wings And Roots"
○------------------------------------------------○
*Warning: Language

HER BROWN CURLS bob as she rushes towards me, her hazel eyes flashing in the sunlight.

"Mommy!" She screeches excitedly, flinging herself into my arms.

"Hi Kylie!" I coo, clutching her tightly as I eye Mia behind me.

"Let's go inside with Aunty Mia, ok?" I smile as she nods, slipping her hand into mine.

We file through the doors into Mia's house, the hallway littered with matchbook cars, dolls, and legos.

I quickly sidestep them and we make our way into the living room which is no better than the hall.

"Where's Dan?" I question curiously, my eyes flicking to his vacant desk in the corner.

"He had to pick up a couple things from the store," Mia replies, clearing a spot on the couch for me.

"Mommy, want to see Spencer?" Kylie questions me, tipping her head to the side with a lopsided smile on her face.

"Sure baby," I smile, watching her rush off.

"Spencer?" I murmur under my breath.

"It's her ken doll, she was really excited when you told her about him that she just had to have her own Spencer," Mia chuckles as Kylie races back into the room.

"See mommy, he's a doctor!" She shrieks, thrusting the doll into my lap.

The doll is surprisingly similar to Spencer, with curly brown hair and even his signature outfit. I peer over at Mia to find her cracking up, and I instantly know.

"Like mother like daughter, the obsession never dies!" She jokes, wiping a tear from the corner of her eye as she attempts to stop laughing.

"Do you like him mommy?" Kylie questions worriedly and I smile as I pull her into my lap.

"I love him baby!" I exclaim, ignoring the raucous fit erupting from Mia.

"Why don't you take Spencer and play in your room Kylie, me and mommy have adult stuff to talk about," Mia tells Kylie, ushering her off gently.

As soon as she disappears around the corner, Mia asks,"Are you sure about this, I know you travel a lot for work?"

"Yes, I'm sure Mia, we'll get everything ready tomorrow at the lawyers office," I reassure her.

"Well, I guess this is as good a time as any to tell you I got a job in D.C and we'll be moving up there in a couple weeks so I was wondering if you would want us to keep helping you out?" Mia questions, her eyes eager.

"Mia, I thought you loved it here!" I exclaim, my eyes widening at the news.

"Come on Nat, it's been going down the drain ever since you left and there's talk they're going to close Neuro," She sighs, fiddling with her fingers.

"What hospital did you sign on to up there?" I question, trying to shift the topic.

"Erickson Medical," She blurts out quite excitedly.

I have to admit, I feel a bit jealous for a moment. Erickson Medical is not only the top hospital in the country, the Neurology department is also astounding.

"Shut up, really!" I squeal, pulling her into a tight hug.

As I pull away, a sharp knock on the door catches our attention.