Chapter 13

(Brad's POV)
I almost felt like crying when my boots met the sand. I looked around and was surprised when I noticed how quiet it was. Instead of hearing gunshots being fired and grenades exploding the only sound that filled the island was the sound of soldiers talking and laughing.

Several of soldiers passed by with their shirts removed and only a hand gun strapped to the waistband of their trousers. I frowned feeling both confused and at slight unease. I fixed the bag on my shoulder as I began to walk, my feet sinking down into the sand with each step I took.

As soon as I reached the camp Connor jogged up to me.

"Glad to have you back, mate" he said as he patted my back with a smile etching itself onto his lips.

"Yeah. Con, why is it so quiet? I thought that I would've been thrown right back into a combat" I said as we began to walk towards the tents.

"Oh, this is only temporary. Every once in a while the nips draw back for unknown reasons for about a day or two, and then we all relax while the officers discuss our next move. You're lucky you're not coming back during one of the combats, mate. Those are even more brutal than before you left" Connor stated as we stepped aside to let a truck loaded with soldiers and supplies pass by.

"So, any good news then. Have we managed to break through their defenses?" I asked when we stepped up onto the dirt road again.

"They really don't tell you much over there do they, in civilization I mean" he said as he threw a glance at me from over his shoulder. He chuckled as he slowed down to let me catch up with him, and began to speak once again when I came up to his side. "We've taken control over another island since you left, but a few still remain before we can counter an attack against the main islands and invade Japan. But I'm telling ya, the nips are tough, they never back down"

I nodded as I looked down at my boots and tightened the grip around the strap to my bag.

~~~~

"Brad, good to see you again!' Tris said and stood up from from his tent bed as soon as Connor and I stepped into the tent.

I smiled as I dropped my bag onto the only empty tent bed and sat down. James grinned as he passed me his water bottle. I reached my hand out to grab it but arched an eyebrow in confusion when he quickly pulled his hand back.

"Is that a ring on your finger?" He questioned, raising his eyebrows slightly as he pointed at my hand.

Connor and Tris both sat up straight when they heard James question, and their eyes widened as they looked at the ring on my finger.

"Ah, yeah. I married April while I was back home" I said and smiled as I scratched my back out of nervousness.

"No way! Did you really?" Tris exclaimed as his gaze flickered from the ring on my finger, to my eyes, and then back to the ring again as if he was trying to process what I had just said.

I nodded as I glanced down at the ring. "I thought that it would be a good idea since I don't know what'll happen to me here, and I just, I just thought that life's way too short you know. And I'm above all madly in love with her" I stated as I looked up from the ring and looked at all of them.

James was the first to react as he smiled and bent down to pull a bottle of cheap whiskey out from under his bed and waved it in the air.
"This calls for celebration" he said as smiled plastered themselves onto each of our faces.

(April's POV)
I sighed as I looked up from the book I was reading. I looked out through the window and followed a raindrop as it slid down the glass slowly, until it crossed paths with another raindrop and they came together as one.

I curled up in the armchair I was sitting in and tucked my feet in under my legs as I wrapped the blanket tighter around myself. I sniffled quietly as my lips began to quiver.

The sudden sound of the front door opening and closing however made me jump, and I quickly wiped the tears that had fallen from my eyes away.

"Honey, I went to the convenience store on the way. I thought we could cook something" I heard mum's voice coming from the hall and soon after heard her footsteps approaching the living room. She peeked her head inside and help a paper bag up for me to see. "Will you help me?" She asked with a smile.

"Yeah, of course" I said as I forced myself to return her smile.

~~~~

"Could you peel the potatoes? Mum asked as she began to chop an onion.

"Sure" I walked over to the kitchen sink and turned the faucet on. I looked down at the two rings covering my ring finger and deliberated taking them off while peeling the potatoes.

"Have you written to Brad since he left?"

"Huh? Eh, no. I haven't" I said as I looked up from my hand to meet mum's gaze.

She smiled softly as she grasped my hand in hers and gave it a light squeeze.

"You don't have to constantly worry honey. I'm sure he's alright, and I bet he wouldn't want you to constantly wonder about what's going on over there" she said as her honey coloured eyes gazed into mine.

"Yeah, I'm sure he's okay" I whispered as a genuine smile grazed my lips.

Mum smiled and brought me in for a warm hug. I nuzzled my head into her neck as the words went on repeat in my head.
He was okay, I was certain of it.

A/N
For all of you who don't know, nips was a term commonly used during WW2 when referring to Japanese soldiers.