Tessa turned entirely towards Adhara, turning Tempest into its dormant form before crossing her arms over her chest. "Adhara, what are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying," Adhara stressed. "That you are strong and you are brave. You are compassionate and wise. You're a different kind of leader, so I have no doubt that your missions in this war will be successful. However, that does not mean I can watch idly by the sidelines while the universe has presented me with the consequences that are not defined so binarily as victory or loss.

"There is no going back after this mission, Tessa. You may win, you may lose, but there will be something you cannot get back once you march into that base." Adhara warned, her eyes dangerously bright, as if she'd looked into the future and seen Tessa there instead of looking at her now. "You will know what you have to do."

Tessa watched Adhara warily, unsure of what to say. However, she merely nodded. "Thank you, Adhara."

Adhara perked up at that, as if her words of warning were nothing. "Of course." She sank into a sarcastic bow. "Oh, and by the way? Lover Boy's been trying to cut in for the past few minutes."

"Adhara." Kaden's stressed voice from beyond the door came. "Don't."

Adhara smirked, pushing away from the doorframe and slinking off without so much as a passing glance. In her wake came Kaden, in his own form of stealth armor. Whereas Tessa's was more like a catsuit, Kaden's was reminiscent of an Agent of Shield's: armored jacket, fitted pants, and just as many weapons hidden in its confines as Tessa's.

Tessa resisted a smirk. They were practically Black Widow and Captain America as they had been for Halloween all those years ago, before the war, before the quest, before everything.

"Hey," Kaden greeted, his voice gravelly. "Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be," Tessa decided, lowering her hands. "This could be our only opportunity to get the upper hand. Did you expect me to let it go?"

"No," Kaden stated. "No one did. It's just..."

Tessa arched an eyebrow, watching Kaden. "Just what?"

Kaden released a shaky breath. "You heard Adhara, Tess. You heard Lukas. Things are changing on higher planes; what if our own efforts may not be enough?"

"They may not be enough," Tessa said, taking a step closer. "But they need to be done."

Kaden nodded, walking closer to Tessa. It wasn't long until there was nothing but the space of the things they'd left unsaid between them, inches from one another. "I'd follow you into any battle, Tess, you know that."

Tessa nodded, looking up to meet Kaden's gaze. "I can always count on you."

Kaden reached up and brushed a flyaway strand of Tessa's hair out of her face. His fingers grazed her cheek, sending sparks through her veins. "Always."

He pressed his lips to her delicately, as if too much force would break her. She had enough time to kiss him back before the sound of people moving out floated in from the halls. Tessa and Kaden pulled apart, looking into one another's eyes.

"I ask you again," Kaden whispered. "Are you sure about this?"

Tessa knew that Kaden knew she was sure. She knew that he would not fight her on her decision, instead of support her wholeheartedly. Him, and all their friends, waiting for them downstairs. Him, and the Romans desperate for their reunion to lead a victory together.