Chapter 2: An Engagement, Interrupted, Part 6

Start from the beginning

"I -- I don't know, your Majesty." He looked at Varallo Thray for help, but the Chancellor's attention seemed wholly focused on his sovereign. "Er -- is it possible she -- that she could be cured?"

The Emperor looked at Denisius thoughtfully. "Well, Varallo? Is it? I don't remember my lessons on werebeasts."

"It is a progressive condition, your Majesty. Based on the princess's behavior in the Maathinhold, I doubt she has been infected long. It might well have happened as recently as this evening." Varallo closed the diary with a snap. The Empress-Consort half rose from her seat as if she wished to retrieve it, but retreated when the Emperor shot a quelling look in her direction. "She did not attack when she could have, even though there were two strangers in the room with her."

"One of them didn't have a head, Varallo."

"Be that as it may, your Majesty, her refusal to harm me or Lord Marhollow, or even this man here, almost certainly cost Tacen his life. If she had any real allegiance to the beast, I am sure she would have fought ferociously to save him. That suggests to me that her condition has not gotten very far, and reversing it remains feasible."

"For how long?"

Varallo Thray shrugged. "It depends on the strain of the blood in her and -- forgive me," his gaze flicked to the Empress-Consort for a moment. "And her own affinity for her new nature. However, she clearly recognized Lord Marhollow. The thoughts recorded in her diary are very conflicted. I believe she is fighting the wolf's blood. I believe, given the choice, she would accept a cure gladly."

The Empress-Consort sighed harshly, dipping her face into a silk handkerchief. The Emperor stared at Varallo Thray impassively.

"And what, Varallo, are we to do with her if we do cure her? She's not fit to be married off to anyone now, not even this fine young man." Denisius could almost hear Vos's teeth sinking into his lower lip as he held back a retort. "Encloisterment, I suppose. She practically has the Chronicle of Joys memorized anyway. Well, Lord Marhollow? Does that seem a fitting end to this affair? You won't be forgotten, I assure you. I must have a niece I could offer you instead. Or the Princess Sarai. She might be more suitable to a man of your abilities."

"With your permission, your Majesty, I would still marry her." Denisius was surprised at the steadiness in his own voice, and this time he managed to meet the Emperor's amused gaze. "If your Majesty approves, I would help try to find her. Grand Chancellor Thray is right. She did recognize me. I think if I hadn't been there, she really might have fought alongside this Tacen creature. If it pleases you, your Majesty, I would like to do everything I can to get her back."

"Marvelous," the Emperor murmured after a long moment. "And what about your man here? I can't say I think your chances all that great if he stays home. Well? Vos, is it? Speak."

Denisius was frankly amazed at the evenness of Vos's tone. "I have had some experience hunting these creatures, your Majesty. I would not allow my lord to go off on his own in search of one. I can't promise I can bring her in alive, though. I fear she hasn't the same fondness for me as she does my master."

"Oh, I don't believe any of us really expect to see the princess Carala alive again, my dear Vos, but the effort should be made, don't you think?" Beside him the Empress-Consort began to weep, but he paid her no heed. "Very well, Denisius Lord Marhollow. I'll take that as an oath of service. And upon the successful completion of your service, we'll have a grand wedding right here in the throne room. To the pit with the Cathedral of the Graces, eh?" He called on one of his guards to bring another goblet, and together he drank with Denisius, sealing the oath with Vos and Galena as official witnesses.