[10] Nyah: "I'm A Puddle At His Feet."

Start from the beginning

Fuck my life.

"Yeah, we just came in. We met your Aleph on the way, actually." Alessia's voice finally pulls me out of my tongue-tied state, and after a second I realize she'd replied for both of us and has been holding a conversation during the quick mental vacay I'd taken.

Goddess bless her and her ability to read my mind.

"He was very polite and a great host." I comment, speaking up for the first time. Alessia nods her head in agreement, "I know. He didn't have an ounce of the 'I'm-the-Aleph-so-Imma-look-down-on-you' attitude, despite recognizing that I hold no rank."

"Oh, yes. Micajah is just about the sweetest person you'll ever meet. He's also my older brother." Ezra says with a happy grin, and one can tell how much pride he holds in the fact that they're brothers. Clearly, they love each other a lot.

But what baffles me is why I've never seen him before, because from my extensive research on the guy, I'd known for sure that Ezra was the heir to his father's title. His aversion for 'second-borns' as he so eloquently put it back then, wasn't an act from what I'd seen. And neither could a person be so hypocritical.

"Oh, so he was supposed to be the Beta? You only took over 'cause he ended up being the Mate of the Alpha?" I challenge, crossing my arms across my chest as my face automatically twists into a glare. Because if that's the truth, I'd have to forget any chance at a future with him right now.

Don't look at me with those judge-y little eyes, you wouldn't be able to put up with with such a big hypocrite either.

"Ah, no. He's my half-brother. We share a biological mother. His father is an Alpha. He wanted to do nothing with his old pack, but if you want to get technical, he's supposed to be their Alpha." Ezra explains, and I feel my shoulders deflate in silent relief.

Relief that the Moon Goddess hadn't paired me with someone who'd inevitably have to be rejected.

"Oh, alright." I nod.

Although considering prior bitter experiences, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to make it as a couple. Maybe we could come to some sort of arrangement in the future, so that we can be civil with each other.

"Cool. Glad that you guys found each other after all these years." Alessia adds, grinning cheerfully, "I'm gonna go and take full advantage of the open bar. See you two lovebirds, later!" With that, the traitor quickly spins around and vanishes into the thick of the crowd.

'You're gonna pay for that later, Alessia.' I warn her over the tele-link, completely flabbergasted that she would ditch me like this in the most obvious manner. All I get is a witchy cackle in reply.

And what's with her stupid 'lovebirds' comment? We can barely stand each other, as it is.

"Uh . . ." Ezra shifts his drink — a Budweiser, to the other hand almost nervously, "So . . . how have you been?"

"Yeah, good." I reply, my tone just as awkward as his, "You would've been hella busy with all the party preparations, huh?"

"Not really, we throw parties often so we have a standard protocol. It's also become pretty easy now, 'cause Seneca and Micajah help out a lot." He shrugs, taking a small sip of his probably warm beer.

"Oh, that's cool." I uncross my arms just to do something with my hands and realize they're literally empty, so I fidget with the golden chain of a strap of my sling bag, running my finger over the little black bag suspended to the end of it that hangs by my hip, trying to look as casual as possible.

Ugh, why does the human body even have hands? We should've just been given something else, like tentacles or wings or better yet, paws.