{08}

( ASHLEY )

( ASHLEY )

HOGWARTS
SEPTEMBER, 2015

Ashley knew that she wasn't the first choice, but she was willing to help. She knew that she was the second choice due to her friendliness. Teddy would have been a better choice ( in Ashley's opinion ) but she wasn't going to argue. Why would she do that when she could help instead?

She didn't know Emery very well, she was a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend; so you can imagine how close they were. Only having talked to Emery a few times, which was a few more times than Hayden, she was the second best bet. Ashley always knew that she was second picked, mostly because she was average at everything. She wasn't as curious and driven as Teddy, not as smart as Hayden, not as subtle as Brett, and doesn't have as many connections as Maverick. She did have some good connections, like Maverick, but her's were out of kindness while his were deals and what being owed.

Ashley did respect Maverick, no matter how infuriating he can be at times. He knew what to do in situations and had a cool head at all times. So while Ashley was more brawns than brains, Maverick was smart, cunning, he knew different ways. ( She had learned in fifth year that he can throw a good punch, Ashley preferred dueling. )

"Are you just going to stand there or are you actually going to start speaking?" Ashley turns a glare to Maverick, his green eyes sparkling every time Ashley's anger started to flare.

She takes a breath, forcing her words through her teeth. "I would like your help." Maverick raised an eyebrow at her words. "Fine. I need your help." Maverick grins, a deal already forming in his mind. They may be friends, but Maverick always wanted to be repaid. It's part of his insurance, just the way he is of wanting to be sure of things. "Hayden asked me to help her with something, so I'm going to do that, but I need your help. I need you to find out what you can about Emery Grey."

"Ah, the odd Ravenclaw. Half-blood if I remember correctly. I'll find out what I can, but you owe me. Deal?" Ashley ponders it for a moment, looking off to the side. How important is this to be in debt to Maverick Viano? In the end, she made a promise to Hayden, and she didn't intend to break it.

"Deal. Hayden needs this information by at least two thirty." Ashley turns to walk off, but Maverick grabs her wrist stopping her.

"Why are you going through so much trouble just to help Hayden? I know this probably has nothing to do with you, so why do it?" Ashley didn't say anything, toying with her lip between her teeth. Maverick didn't need to know. I want to be needed. But the words were left unsaid. She ripped her hand from Maverick, not looking back. I want to be useful.

But everything was left unsaid, just like it always was.

Unspoken words drifted through the castle, words people wanted to shout, scream from the bottom and top of their lungs, sobs wanting to escape; but none of any of that came out. Instead, it stayed silent, and the pain continued to lump together in everyone's throat. Maybe it was better that way, all the truth brought was pain. Either way, someone gets hurt, it's just the matter of who.