{07}

It occurred to me later that I should probably have a trigger warning on this chapter. I'm not sure if it is triggering but alcoholism is mentioned and seen in this chapter.

 I'm not sure if it is triggering but alcoholism is mentioned and seen in this chapter

( BRETT )

HOGWARTS
SEPTEMBER, 2015

Brett was good at keeping secrets. He didn't like to, but he'd rather keep secrets from his friends if it meant that they wouldn't worry about him. After all, it was nothing to worry about.

    He knew his parents disagreed, but they couldn't do anything while he was at Hogwarts. So when he left Teddy saying he had to go do something, Brett snuck into his dormitory, making sure no one else was around, before grabbing his hidden bottle of fire whiskey. Being seventeen, Brett was legally allowed to buy it, but he probably wasn't allowed to bring any on Hogwarts grounds; but here he was.

    He didn't have any cups or anything in the like, so he lifted the bottle to his lips and swallowed the liquid. He embraced the burning in the back of his throat. Leaning against the wall and taking another drink from the bottle just like he had been doing during the summer, and the school year before.

    After all, this all started with the party where he took his first shot.

Brett wanted to keep drinking, to drown himself in the burning whiskey, but hid the bottle away when he heard feet pounding up the stairs. He forced himself to stand straight and look at the bookshelf like he was simply looking for a book.

He could feel the alcohol on his breath. He hated the feeling but loved the taste. It was too late to run to the bathroom to brush his teeth so he kept his hand trailing over the book spines and the door to the dorm opened.

"Hey Brett." Andy came into the room and looked through his bag left on top of his bed. "Looking for my extra thing of ink. Spilt my other one. Do you have one I can borrow?"

Brett hummed, keeping his mouth firmly shut. He quickly walked over to his case and brought out some ink. He was tempted to just throw it to Andy, but knew that Andy would most likely drop and it then there would be no ink at all and they would both have to clean it up.

He placed it in Andy's out stretched hand with a tight lip smile. To get away without any questions, he reached for a random book on the shelf and left the room without a word for either one of them. He hid in the corner in the common room, waiting till it was safe to go back up and brush his teeth.

Or to have another drink.

Brett never minded when he had to help people practice quidditch. It was a normal thing for him, mostly for the reason that he didn't play. Teddy had been so relieved about that fact after seeing Brett play, stating, "We'd never win a game if you played for Gryffindor, none of the houses would."