August shot me a text, saying that he was outside and I used the spare key Dayvid had given me a while back to lock up behind myself, going out to Aug's car.

"You look good." He said as soon as I got in and I rolled my eyes behind my shades before mumbling a thank you.

I couldn't take a compliment to save my life. As much as people insulted me at school, it was hard to believe when people actually said nice things.

"So whea' you wanna go, love?" He asked me and I thought about it.

"I wanna get a tattoo today." I announced and he looked at me.

"Whateva' the lady wants."

He drove to the local tattoo parlor and I went inside knowing exactly what I wanted.

"You got a tattoo befa'?" He asked me as we proceeded to the back. Apparently he already knew the owner so we didn't have to wait.

"I got a few."

He looked at me like I was crazy and I shrugged.

I'd decided that instead of cutting myself I could start getting tattoos instead. That was a painful pleasure in a form, right?

I took a seat and explained to the woman the design that I wanted was a rose with thorns on my left arm.

I came in here feeling like that bitch but once she turned the needle on, I immediately grabbed Aug's hand. He laughed to himself but held my hand comfortingly.

It didn't hurt worse than cutting myself but it hurt like hell.

When it was completed I was satisfied with the outcome and as I went to pay, Aug stopped me and did it himself.

"Thank you." I said once we were in the car and he shrugged.

'It ain't nothin'. Where to now?"

"Up to you I guess." I said, admiring my tattoo and he started off down the road.

"So, you neva' said much about ya fatha'. Is he around?" He asked me and I blew air.

"He's around alright. Just not around me. He works a lot. So much to the point he falls asleep at his office sometimes. He's always out of town and if he's not doing doctor things, he finds some other way to make money. Anything to stay out of the house."

"Ya think das why ya mama is how she is?"

"That's exactly why. When he had just one job a couple years back, he was home more and she wasn't crazy how she is now. Since he isn't giving her attention, she apparently wants to take her anger out on me." I said, looking out of the window.

"Ya still love ha, don't you?"

"With all my heart. At one point in time she was my best and only friend. I could talk to her about any and every thing. Same with my dad. What about your family?" I turned the conversation to him before I could become too emotional.

"Fatha was neva in my life, my mama back in New Awlin's. I got a brotha' down hea named Ash, though." He explained to me and I nodded.

"No crazy exes?" I joked but I saw him tense up.

"No."

The tone of voice he'd taken bothered me so I sat back, quiet for the remainder of the ride.

He pulled into the driveway of a nice house and got out, making me follow.

"Is this your house?" I asked once we were inside. It was gorgeous.

"Yea, I don't be hea much. You want sum ta drink or any of dat?"

"A drink would be nice." I said, making myself comfortable on his couch.

He brought me a lemonade before settling down beside me.

I could feel him staring as I drank.

"Is there something wrong with my face because you have a serious staring problem." I said.

"Ya face is perfect."

That caught me off guard for a second, "I'll agree to disagree."

"The fuck do that mean?"

"People tell me otherwise."

"And you believe dem?" He chuckled, "Tell me sum Re, dese so called people, what dey look like?"

My thoughts wandered to Tatyana who was, not to be a hypocrite, but very ugly. Not just her attitude either, facially she was not all that.

"Not too good." I said in response to Aug's question.

"Exactly. Ion care if mufuckin Beyoncé call yo ass ugly, that don't mean believe ha. Everybody attractive ta somebody. You not meant ta look good ta everybody you meet. Anybody that call you ugly a hatin' ass hoe, period." He continued to preach and I nodded, never even thinking of it in that way.

"Why you care so much?" I asked after what felt like forever.

"Because I don't like seein' you unhappy. I figured dat out about you, you extremely unhappy about a lot of shit and God tellin' me that I need ta make you happy."

Well thank you, God.

"I don't think just one boy is going to cure all of my problems." I whispered.

All this shit was unrealistic. This random stranger shows up and expects me to believe God sent him to help me with all my problems. My own friends and family can't even help me and he thinks he can? Tough.

"Well I can't do shit but try, huh?" August said to me, before leaning in and kissing my lips.

Authors Note

I feel like that was all over the place but good at the same time. Excuse any errors or mistakes.