Chapter 16: Unravel

Start from the beginning

"Pfft, you can't cook?  Didn't your parents to teach you or does your Mum do all the cooking for you?" I teased sticking my tongue out in disbelief. "Even Tom's pretty decent! You can really save a lot of money if you eat at home you know, not that you needed to of course. Just saying." I dragged the pile towards me. Flipping through the assortment, my vision almost went haywire.

There were way too many to choose from, I had no idea where to start. Thai, Korean, Italian, Steakhouse, Chinese, KFC, Porutugese, Egyptian, Mc Donalds, Fish & Chip shop, Mexican, African, Steakhouse, Kebabs... It went on and on as I dealt the deck of flyers as if on a poker table. I grew excited at the thought of all these choices. How on Earth was a girl to choose?

It was always impossible to decide on a meal when going out with my family, because I want to eat everything on the menu. But the added pressure of having to choose for Mr. Green, especially when I was practically the uninvited guest?

Oh no, no, no. I couldn't.
I don't even have an inkling of what he liked when the whole world's cuisine was laid out in front. What if I chose something he hated?

"You don't even have a flyer for our restaurant? How could you!" I gasped, while continuing to comb through the flyers restlessly.

Suddenly as if a doorbell rang in my thick head, I noticed the lack of reply from Mr. Green and turned my attention towards him. His face had darkened slightly. He stood still in his position, about two feet away and looked back at me with a sad smiled.
"What's wrong? What did I say?"

"Nothing, I'm just letting you choose." There was a small hidden anguish in his eyes and I knew for a fact he was holding his tongue.

"You're being too silent. Was my joke about your Mum cooking for you too mean? I mean, that's what Mums are for right? Or Dads sorry."

He scoffed then smiled again, though his dimple appeared, it didn't quite reach his eyes. He leaned back against the counter casually and stuck his fingers into his pockets.

"I don't have parents," He tried saying nonchalantly, but I caught it. The tiniest quiver at the end of his words, coupled with the slightest flicker of torment in his eyes betrayed his intentions. Although it was barely there, I was able to pick up o it because I also knew it so well myself. It was a lifetimes worth of misery. 

Instantly my face crumpled and I felt a deep regret. "Mr. Green, I... I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"No, it's quite alright Rose. Don't apologise, how were you to know anyway?" He laughed, finally moving to the kitchen sink to wash our empty mugs from earlier. "Also, I don't have your family's restaurant flyer because I memorised my favourite dishes. I only tend to only order the same things at certain places." He turned his head and gave me another side smile in an attempt to cheer the mood. 

I could sense that the topic did arose some more sadness in him as much as he tried to avoid it. I cursing at myself for bringing it up.

Dropping all the pamphlets onto the cool granite top, I ran my fingers along the smooth surface, outlining the contours of soft grey quartz that snaked along the icy white stone, creating whirls of patterns. It was as if my nerves, stomach and mind was illustrated on the stone right now.

"I see. It's pretty nice to hear that you like our food that much. Mm...Honestly, I don't think I really know much about you, Mr. Green. You're kind of like a big mystery to me." I babbled my inner thoughts, only realising too late. 
Shit. 
I play it off as casual conversation. "So... Uh, what do you like to order from ours?"

He chuckled softly at my question. "No, I don't really tend to tell people things about me much. Well apart from you it seems." He confessed as he rinsed our cups under the water.  "Hmm... As for what I like to order... I like things that are very homely. Something simple, like a carbonara or the Sunday Roast that your Mum makes. Those are my favourite because they remind me of my Grandma and what she used to cook for me."