September 17, 1888, Noon (Unedited)

Permilla woke slowly and groggy. It took her a second to realize where she was. When she rolled over and saw her ripped dress on the floor. She bolted up and grabbed the dress. The silk black fabric was torn and looked so worn. She couldn't believe it. The night rushed back at her. Permilla would have stared at the dress and would have continued to do so until a knock came at her door.

"Yes?" Permilla questioned. She stood to answer the door but when she heard Huxley's voice. She couldn't answer the door in her sleeping gown for a man. Permilla's already low reputation would plummet. "It's noon. I wanted to make sure that you would be attending the meeting with the Countess."

Shocked, Permilla looked towards the window where the sunlight shined brightly. She would have been marveled at the rare chance of sunlight but when it clicked in her mind what time it was, she let out an unladylike curse. She didn't mean to say it so loud. Huxley let out a bark of laughter but Permilla flew around her room, grabbing what was essential to get ready. It took Permilla less than five minutes to get ready and with her laces in the wrong holes, her hair hanging loose down her neck and her boot half zipped, she flew down the hallway. When Permilla opened the closed door to the meeting room, she was pleased to see the Countess hadn't arrived and that she wouldn't have to explain her late arrival.

Everyone from the meeting last night was here and Becca, Duchess Stone and Noah had stacks of paper in front of them. Permilla was surprised to see Cornelius, leg bandaged and propped up. Cornelius sat the the table, smiling brightly for someone who had his leg chewed up on. Slightly winded, Permilla slid into her seat as soon as the Countess walked into the room. She wore another deep red dress. A set of maids Permilla didn't know this mansion had, set up their lunch. Permilla's father drooled at the prospect. Either he was eating her mother's terrible food or he was avoiding cooking. Permilla realized early on, their family did not have a cooking gene.

"Give me a run down of what we have discovered." The Countess sat down as Noah stood up. He started with their dissection of the beast and Permilla lit up. She became invested in what they had discovered. They discovered things like how the monosupials were creatures that lived underground and their habits of life. While Permilla knew some of those facts, it was interesting to see what her father and his co-worker could discover. Permilla wished she could have been along with her father, but couldn't deny her experience from last night. After Noah sat down, Duchess Stone stood up and shared she had little progress. Alexander nodded like he had been with her the whole night. Then Becca stood up for her turn.

"In the graveyard last night we came across a problem..."The Countess leaned forward. Her mother continued to give the report but Permilla could make herself listen. Permilla could no longer look up at her. Permilla got an unusual twinge in her chest. Permilla couldn't help but obsess with the fact that her mother might be avoiding eye contact with her. She fiddled with her spoon the smooth pudding. Permilla couldn't summon her appetite and looked at her companions. Zachary was picking at his food like Permilla. Duchess Stone had her nose buried in a book instead of her food. The countess had even pushed her food away. Only Noah and Cornelius slurped down the food.

The beige puddle of rice pudding seemed to twist and distort Permilla's face. Her blood cooled when she realized her eyes were blacker than coal. A bottomless pit. Her eyes narrowed back at her. Her smile was full of sharp teeth whispering, Of course shes avoiding eye contact you disappointment. She hates you. Permilla spasmed at the same voice from last night. To Permilla's slight horror, she realized it was in her head. Her pudding spilled onto the table setting. The table looked over at her, at her disaster. Half of the table looked at her, questioning her actions. Zachary looked at her like she was a restless animal. Permilla cleared her throat, dropped the napkin from her lap onto the mess, and covered her mistake with a comment, "I don't think the queen was in the graveyard. They were all too small if we go off the measurements."

Her mother narrowed her eyes before her father nodded fast and they continued with the meeting. If Permilla wasn't lost in her thoughts she would have felt Huxley gazing at her with such a stare that screamed he was analyzing her behavior.

"Well all we can do is wait for the French information. It should be here soon. Until then we won't have what we need. Therefore I need everyone to just relax and prepare for a big ending."

(*)

Thanks for bearing with my writing right now.

Don't forget to 

Vote

Comment

&

Share!

~ Jasmine