eighteen | 어머니

Start from the beginning

But something about him was off.

A mad gleam burned in his eyes--something both unhinged and calm, like a caged beast falling mysteriously silent. A hint of white teeth flashed behind a close-lipped smile. His lids hung low, lazy, his brows arched with cold interest.

A strand of hair had fallen loose of his perfect bun, curling along the side of his face. Judas tilted his head, lips tugging higher as Luke leaned forward.

Her heart leapt in her throat in fear. Fear for Luke.

She stepped backward, closer to the glass.

"--disgusting." Luke's voice was strong, furious, edged with poison. "I looked up to you, the way you grew your company and took over the city. I used--" He laughed. "I used to watch documentaries about you and your success. My mom would point you out and tell me that this was what a life behind a camera should look like. But everything was a lie, wasn't it? You cheated your way up like everyone else. It's disappointing. Pathetic."

A laugh burst out of Judas's lips, a flash of madness. But it dissolved just as quickly.

"Cheated," he repeated, a grin stretching wide. "Cheated. And can you say you've never cheated? Hasn't precious Arjun used your connections to bring you the best offers?"

"You're a murderer."

Judas closed his eyes. "I don't murder, Luke. I make sacrifices."

Luke nodded, numb. "Did that logic soothe you when you drugged and killed Michelle Jung?"

"Defending Hope as well?" His eyes snapped open, a flash of ice. "How noble of you."

Luke pressed on in a low voice. "The picture behind you," he began, "of you congratulating Michelle on her award. It was taken two days before you killed her."

"And?"

His lips pulled into a mirthless smile. "You relish in the fact that you stole your success from her, don't you? How does it feel, running away every second of your life from the truth of how weak you are?"

The words hit home. Any trace of amusement vanished from Judas's eyes. Satisfaction swelled in Eris's chest.

"Look at her," Luke said, his voice cold as stone. "Look at her. Or is it too painful, knowing you're a fraud?"

Her heart hitched. Look at her. Luke was goading him into turning around.

Sure enough, Judas rose to his feet, eyes cold, and turned to face the photo. "Spoiled. Foolish. A boy like you can nevrr understand..."

Eris jumped into action as he went on. She drew out the film and smoothed it over the sensor. Risked a furtive glance into the office. Luke had drawn closer to Judas, somehow knowing to block her from view.

Perfect.

She peeled the film off and narrowed her eyes. The guard's oily fingerprint was etched onto its translucent surface, perfect for use at any sensor in the mansion.

She left her post, heart pounding.

Ten minutes. That was all she had. She slipped out of the room and up the stairs.

Her feet sank soundlesly into plush white carpet as she navigated the second floor. She made it a point to avoid the indoor balconies and wove through bright halls to a glass-walled room sealing in narrow dark shelves and a sprawling ebony desk. From the window-wall to the back, an expansive view of the glittering Hills rolled down into snow-touched mist.