Chapter 5: The Stay

Pacifica's POV, that morning, 5:00 am.

    Pacifica blinked awake. When her eyes fully opened, she scrambled backward and tumbled off the mattress at the sight of a contraption in front of her face. She crawled back onto her bed and glared at the strange machine. She investigated, noting that her hurting throat was healing. The mechanical object had a funnel, which was blowing out water vapor at the empty space where she used to sleep. She lifted the top off that machine. Inside was a water compartment, fitted with a tube that went to the funnel. Her eyes widened. She looked at Dipper, mouth open in shock. He had bags under his eyes. "He did this...for me?" She whispered, amazed by his act of kindness. "It must have taken him hours..."

       Dipper's POV, 6:00 am that day.

    Dipper woke up to see Pacifica sitting cross legged on her mattress. She was gingerly holding the funnel of the makeshift vaporizer had made for her.

"'Morning," he chuckled, and took a step back when he saw that Pacifica had been crying.

"Why did you do this for me?" She whispered. "To guilt trip me up for trying to humiliate you and your sister?"

    "No!" Dipper said, quickly. "I did it to help."

    Pacifica looked back down at the machine. "It did help," she smiled a bit.

    "Glad to hear." Dipper sat down next to her, noticing she was still crying a bit. He hesitantly held her hand. She looked up at him, surprised, and hugged him, this time sobbing happy tears. He, for the first time, hugged her back.

    Mabel's POV,breakfast.

Mabel smiled to herself. "I ship them!" She whisper-said to Waddles.

"I can't accept these," Pacifica said, guiltily looking at the pancakes on her plate. "I should go-"

"No. Stay." Mabel announced, pushing Pacifica back into her seat. "You're going to stay until you're better."

"I am better. See?" She moved her broken arm and Mabel could see her force a smile and bite her lip as if trying not to scream.

Dipper shook his head. "Nope." Pacifica slumped back into her chair and gave Mabel an angry/amused look.

    Pacifica's POV, in the afternoon.

    "do we have to watch ducktective?" Pacifica groaned, taking her spot on the right side of the couch, next to Dipper, who was squashed by her and Mabel. "This is a kid's show!"

    "We're only 13," Mabel said casually, waving the remote in the air. "Ducktective is totally appropriate for out age. It's tv G!"

    "Dipper, can you bribe her out of this?" Pacifica pleaded, wincing as a burn on her leg rubbed against the couch cushion.

             "I'm afraid that when Mabel had her mind set on something, she gets it," Dipper shrugged. "So we just have to put up with her." He said this in a way that signaled he still loved his sister, even though they sometimes ticked each other off.

            Pacifica actually enjoyed the show, though she wouldn't tell anyone.