Chapter 38

~~~~~~~~~~

I slammed my foot down on the gas. The RV lurched foreward. I heard Dipper shriek in the bathroom. Stacey raised her voice and hollared back at him. "You okay, Dippingsauce?"

"F-fine" came the frightened yell. "Who'se driving?" his voice was tauht with fear.

"Your girlfriend!"

"My girlfr-wait, PACIFICA's DRIVING?"

Stacy turned to me and grinned. "Whose your boyfriend now, Pacifica?"

I growled. "Shut up." I ground the pedal down and spun the wheel right. The van swerved out of the parking space and I felt my stomach lurch. Dipper emerged from the bathroom, wrapped in a towel, eyes wide in shock. His knees wobbled. "What...where..."

Stacey made her way toward him. "You lay down. Paz knows whats she's doing.

"No, she doesn't!" despite his exaustion, Dipper's voice held defiance.

"Calm down!" I yelled from the front seat. "I got this." I swivled the wheel implulsivly and the car screeched along the pavement, facing the exit. Pressing my right foor onto the gas, the RV lurched foreward and started it's speedy acceleration down the highway.

The burning wreckage was hard to avoid, so I had to keep swerving. An occasional car whizzed past us, carrying what remained of the Peidmont community. I was unsure if the weirdness had spread all the way to Gravity falls, but at the moment, that wasn't my biggest worry. I hglanced back at Dipper, who had drifted off, Stacey monitering him from the bed across. Even as he slept peacefully his painfull ragged breaths reached me and I cringed. He had taken some pretty heavy injuries in the crash, and I was slightly doubtful he would make it to Gravity falls without some aid.

The neighborhood sign came into veiw, and I made a sharp turn, feeling the back left tire  scrape against the curb. I continued to turn the wheel until we had coasted into the nighborhood.

Vaugly remembering the location of the black-haired boy's house, I browsed along the streets until I cuaght sight of the familier location. Part of the roof was destroyed, some of the shrubs were still sizzling, yet the house seemed mostly intact.

"We're here. Stacey, you stay inside and take care of Dipper. i'll go get Zack." easing myself out of the worn leather chair, I turned the knob on the door and made my way into the dark, sulferous air.