Chapter 26 - Gondor's Messenger

OoOoO

The laughter of an elfling echoed along the corridors of the Woodland Realm, lending an air of magic to the graceful caverns and passageways. Few sounds in all of Arda are so well documented for the sheer joy that they bring to those who are lucky enough to hear it. It was toward this sound that Galion hurried, the robes of the king's steward sweeping over polished stone floors in his wake.

When Galion came upon the royal family, he hesitated upon the chamber threshold. Such a scene of familial contentment greeted his eyes that the young steward was loathe to interrupt.

Thranduil and Anthelísse reclined on their favorite lounge couch, the king's silvery robes spilling over to pool on the floor with the queen's pale green gown. Thranduil's head lay in Anthelísse's lap, and her long clever finger were dancing among the strands of his hair. Aislinn, the queen's favored handmaiden sat nearby on a bench, her dark eyes flashing as she laughed in merriment at the scene before them.

In the center of the spacious room, a young elfling stood toe-to-toe with the much taller Captain of the Guard. Gurithon crouched in a loose wrestling posture, and the young prince Legolas was darting forward over and over trying to tackle one of the Silvan elf's legs. Every time young Legolas missed, Gurithon would retaliate by shooting out a hand and tickling the prince under an outstretched arm. The golden-haired ellon shrieked with laughter but kept on trying to get past the captain's nimble defences. From the sidelines Thranduil, Anthelísse and Aislinn cheered on one or both 'opponents' in the match.

Finally, Legolas got close enough to wrap an arm around one of Gurithon's knees. Gurithon feigned shock, then scooped up the prince over his shoulders. Legolas giggled and squirmed, but couldn't escape as Gurithon presented his captive to Thranduil and Anthelísse.

"What do you make of this, my lord and lady?" Gurithon asked with mock gravity. "Such a strange creature, and so short! Perhaps I ought to send it back to live amongst the dwarves where it belongs?"

With a laugh, Thranduil sat upright, taking care not to muss the elaborate weaving Anthelísse had done in his hair. "If that is a dwarf Gurithon, then it must be teased horribly by its kind for its utter lack of beard!"

"Ada, I'm not a dwarf!" Legolas cried, still squirming valiantly. With some effort he managed to lift himself up to grin at his father over Gurithon's shoulder. "See?" When Thranduil just smiled and quirked an eyebrow, the young prince appealed to his mother. "Naneth, don't let them send me away to live with the dwarves!"

"Fear not little leaf." Anthelísse laughed. "I shall not let anyone send you away. Besides, whatever would the dwarves do with so energetic a child?"

Galion smiled to himself, then sighed and straightened the front of his robes. The messenger waiting in the audience hall would not be kept long waiting. Clearing his throat, Galion made his presence known.

"Ah Galion." Thranduil said, waving the steward forward. "Come, no need to stand in the shadows." Seeing the younger elf's solemn expression the king frowned. "What is it, has Maechenel more complaints regarding the planning of Mereth Nuin Giliath?"

"No my lord." Galion said, bowing deeply. "Although Lord Maechenel does send his regrets that the Feast of Starlight needs must take place indoors this year on account of the weather. I have come to inform you that a human messenger has arrived from the forest road. He bears the crest of Gondor, and awaits you at the soonest convenience."

"A human?" Aislinn asked curiously. Galion felt the tips of his ears heat slightly as the Noldo handmaiden tossed a long black tress over one shoulder. He kept his face professionally aloof though. "This would be the first time in centuries that a mortal has actually sought an audience with this realm."