Chapter 14 - Eyes of All

OoOoO

The coronation led into a grand feast, and Thranduil and Anthelísse found there was little time to speak to one another. Instead Anthelísse found herself seated between Aislinn and Gurithon at the enormous table that had been assembled in the Great Hall. The gift that she and her handmaidens had made for Thranduil rested beneath the table against her leg, and Anthelísse hoped that an opportunity would present itself to give it to him. In the meantime though, speaking with Gurithon was turning out to be quite enjoyable.

"Has the king shown you the mountain paths yet, Lady Anthelísse?" Gurithon asked as he held up his goblet for a refill of wine. Thranduil's Captain of the Guard displayed the Silvan talent for imbibing seemingly endless quantities of the powerful drink with only minimal effect. Anthelísse for her part was still working away at a first cup.

She shook her head, still recovering from her last sip of wine. "Not yet, but there will no doubt be time for that later."

"So you intend to remain here in Emyn Duir for the foreseeable future? Gurithon inquired.

Anthelísse recalled her lukewarm reception among the councillors of the Woodland Realm and frowned slightly. "Yes, contrary to the hopes of some. I am here by invite of the king, and will stay for however long as his hospitality extends."

Gurithon looked surprised and held up his hands placatingly. "You mistake me Lady Anthelísse! Quite to the contrary, I am glad to hear that you will not be departing any time soon." With a quick glance around, the captain lowered his voice and leaned in closer. "Have you been made to feel unwelcome by any since your arrival?"

It was tempting to grouse about the Sindarin nobility to this good natured Silvan elf, particularly Tharnor and his subtly nasty comments. Anthelísse was the Lady of Noldor though, and not prone to such outbursts. Instead she settled for a quick flicker of her eyes in the direction of Thranduil's Master of Coin.

"No, not truly Gurithon. I thank you though for your kind words."

Ever sharp, Gurithon had not missed Anthelísse's brief glance at Tharnor's back one table over. He was far from surprised; Tharnor had been one of the most vocal opponents of Oropher's decision to answer Gil-Galad's call to battle in the Last Alliance. Gurithon also did not like it overmuch that the Master of Coin chose to fight his battles in the shadows with words rather than with a sword in the open. Still, so long as Tharnor had not openly offended the lady Anthelísse then Gurithon supposed Thranduil had other worries to manage for now.

"Fear not, in time you will come to know more of the hospitality of the Greenwood. Our folk have kept mainly to ourselves for centuries, and especially given recent events you must understand that many do not love strangers. I see how Thranduil watches you though Lady Anthelísse..." When Anthelísse blushed Gurithon smiled. "Oropher was well loved among our people, and so is his son. When it is known how Thranduil has come to care for you, others will surely welcome you in time."

"You see much, Captain." Anthelísse said, pretending she did not see Aislinn beaming over her plate of roast boar beside her.

Gurithon winked. "I see what is plain to be seen, my lady."

When the last course of the feast had been finished and all had pushed away their plates with sighs of contentment, the tables were once again removed from the Great Hall. Now there was a great empty space of gleaming marble floor beneath the vaulted palace ceiling, and the minstrels began to tune their instruments once more. The torchlight cast golden shadows over the expectant faces of all as the king took his seat upon the throne at the head of the hall.