Chapter 1 - Kaori

Start from the beginning

"I came here for a fresh start too. My family was killed just over a year ago so I left my village to get away, it was too painful to be there." He says causing me to look at him with shock.

"Oh no that's horrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you." I respond sincerely and he gives me a small smile.

"I appreciate that Kaori." He reaches across the table and gives my hand a small squeeze causing butterflies to spread around my stomach. My cheeks heat up and he thankfully pulls his hand back.

"Well we can start fresh together then!" I exclaim and his eyes light up at this.

"I'd love that! It's hard to make friends when you know no one." His answer makes me smile softly at him.

"Are you going to be working with the village shinobi while you're here?" I ask and he shakes his head while finishing his tea.

"No I'm finished with all of that, no more dangerous life for me. I plan on getting a simple job here and being content with that." He answers and smiles to himself as he places his empty cup on the table.

"Well I should get out of your hair! It's pretty late and I just wanted to introduce myself to you." He stands up and I take our empty cups and put them in the sink.

"It was my pleasure really, I'd love to hang out this week sometime if you're free." I answer and turn around to face him to see his face light up with excitement.

"I'd love that! Just stop by whenever you want, I'll be home most of the time unpacking and settling in." He says as I walk him to the front door. Opening it he stops and turns to me.

"It was great meeting you Kaori!" He gives me a closed eye smile and a little wave before disappearing out of the apartment. I shut and lock the door behind him sighing to myself.

God he was dreamy...

Making my way over to my bedroom I strip out of my dirty clothes and toss them into the bin in the corner, I grab my towel and hop into the shower. The warm water cascades down my body and I smile at the feeling.

Tomorrow I need to see him. I'm going to get answers whether he wants to give them or not. Ever since that day Kakashi has been avoiding me like the plague, I know he knows something about my past and I am determined to find out what that is.

He called me Mala... I wonder who Mala was to him...

I exit the shower and dry myself off before hopping into bed and staring out the window.

Tomorrow I'm working with Iruka at the academy. I've only met him briefly but he seems kind and warm.

I blush at my own thoughts and roll over closing my eyes and drifting off.

"Mala!!"

Opening my eyes I see devastation, the village is burning.

I roll over onto my back and see a group of ANBU staring down at me.

"I'm glad she's dead, disgusting monster."

I flinch at the harsh words of one of the men and I notice the others murmur in agreement with him.

"Tsunade should revoke Kakashi's right to being a ninja for letting her go before."

I try to shout back at them but my eyes begin to grow heavy and they close.

The smell of burning wood and the crackling of fire is all my senses pick up on.

My alarm clock screams at me to get up and I groan and roll over to smack it.