always.

Chapter Song - Kids ~ OneRepublic

3rd Person POV

Eight years ago, a crappy apartment in a rough neighborhood.

"Hey, O, dinner's almost ready," fifteen year old Bellamy called out to his little sister. He shouldn't have been her brother and her parent, but if he didn't look after her, who else would? It was like his mom always said, "your sister, your responsibility."

"One sec, Bell, I almost got it," nine year old Octavia yelled back from the floor in what should have been the living room, if there had been more furniture. She was doing a puzzle their elderly neighbor Mrs Vasquez had given her before she died. Her tongue stuck out her mouth in concentration as she placed the last few pieces.

"Done!" she squeaked in excitement, running over to grab her big brother's wrist, dragging him away from the pot on the stove and over to her masterpiece.

"Wow, O, that's a new record. You must be some kinda genius or something," he gushed, scooping her off the ground to spin her in his arms.

"You think?" she asked him after he put her down, her big green eyes looking up at him hopefully.

"Totally," he replied, walking back to the soup he was making.

Ever since their mother was shot by some drug mules after they had accidentally messed up their whole operation, they ate whatever Bellamy could sneak home from his job at a convenience store on the corner. The owner sympathised with them, giving him a salary that would cover the bill and their rent, along with lenient hours. This didn't leave anything for food and clothes and other luxury items, though. So for that, he stole things.

Octavia followed him into their kitchenette, and took a seat at the old wooden round table. They had plates and cutlery, all that was fine from before their mother died. It had only been a year, but for Bellamy, it felt like an eternity.

He was just serving up the soup when there was a knock at the door. Usually he would ignore it, in an attempt to keep out anyone who might want to take his little sister away from him. But this knock was urgent, so he sat the pot down on the counter and went to answer it.

When he opened it, he saw a distraught ten year old girl, with tears streaming down her rosy cheeks. The girl lived the apartment next to theirs, with her mother and whoever else she was seeing at that point in time. Most of the time, Alala was alone, so she'd come and hang out with Octavia when Bellamy was at work. He'd only ever seen her like that when one of her mom's boyfriends got too drunk, so when he saw her, he pulled her inside and shut the door.

"Lala, what happened? What did he do? Are you okay?" he asked quickly, examining her for any sign of injury.

"They-" she trailed off as she began to sob. Octavia silently passed her a tissue before pouring her an extra bowl of soup. She knew the drill by now.

"They what, La?" he whispered, taking her over to a seat at their table.

"They left. They left me behind, Bellamy," she mumbled, gripping onto his arms as he knelt in front of her chair.

"What do you mean they left, have they gone on vacation again?" he asked the crying girl, as Octavia set the soup in front of her.

"No, Bellamy, you don't understand. They're really gone," she told him, breaking out in sobs again.

"How do you know?" he questioned softly, wiping a tear from under her eye with his thumb.

She unclenched her fist, unveiling a small note on a crumpled piece of paper. She handed it to him, as Octavia grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

The note read:

𝐻𝑒𝓎, 𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎

𝒲𝑒'𝓇𝑒 𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔. 𝐼'𝓂 𝓈𝑜 𝓈𝑜𝓇𝓇𝓎, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝒩𝒾𝒸𝓀 𝑔𝑜𝓉 𝓊𝓈 𝒶 𝓃𝑒𝓌 𝓅𝓁𝒶𝒸𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓁𝒾𝓋𝑒, 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓌𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝒷𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝒶𝓁𝓁𝑜𝓌 𝓀𝒾𝒹𝓈.

𝐼'𝓂 𝓈𝓊𝓇𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊'𝓇𝑒 𝑜𝓁𝒹 𝑒𝓃𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽 𝓉𝑜 𝓁𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝒶𝒻𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓈𝑒𝓁𝒻 𝒷𝓎 𝓃𝑜𝓌, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒'𝓈 𝒻𝒾𝒻𝓉𝓎 𝒷𝓊𝒸𝓀𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝒽𝑒𝓁𝓅 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝑜𝓊𝓉.

𝒮𝓉𝒶𝓎 𝓈𝒶𝒻𝑒,

𝐿𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇, 𝑀𝑜𝓂 𝓍

"Oh my God, I'll kill her," Bellamy muttered, fuming. "I'll kill her!" he yelled, throwing the note on the floor and punching the wall. Alala looked like she might break down.

"Bell! You're upsetting her," Octavia shouted, squeezing her hand tighter.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," he said, his voice low and soft as he pulled the little girl into a hug.

"I don't have anywhere to go, Bellamy," she cried onto his shoulder.

"Hey, hey. You can live here, you have us," he soothed, stroking her hair.

"Really?" her voice cracked, pulling away from the hug, to look at the brother and sister that were sat around her.

"There's room for Lala in your room, isn't there, O?" Bellamy asked his sister.

"Always," she replied, engulfing her in a hug once more.

The origin story, short but sweet.