Future Brighter Than Past

Deanna POV-

I laughed so hard at Ray as we walked toward Jackson Square in New Orleans. Me, her and Sira were in New Orleans because the Titans were playing the Saints.

Brandon, Jussie and Justin were supposed to drive up on game day. And Kenya said she would fly in with Odell and the kids.

"Their accents are so amazing." Sira laughed at Ray as well who was saying, "hey baby." To anyone that passed in a New Orleans accent.

My shoe became un-tied so I reach down to tie it and on my way back up I bumped into someone.

"Sor—" My heart stopped as I saw a man stare back at me in a police uniform.

Neither of us could form words, we just looked in each others eyes until...

"Anna." Ray called and walked over.

Me and August looked down.

"Come on girl I want my pics at Jackson square." She didn't realize who he was.

"Oh ok." I looked at August then her.

She grabbed my hand and pulled me along.

As we headed toward Jackson Square I looked back to see where he went but it was too many people and he got swallowed in the crowd.

We made our way to Jackson Square, I would look around just to see if I saw him.

"What you looking for girl?" Ray asked handing me her phone.

"Nothing. Just taking in the ambiance." I gave a fake smile.

"Well do that why you take me and Ra picture." Her and Sira stood by the statue and made several poses as I took pictures.

They then pushed me to get in and we took selfies.

"Where y'all wanna go now?" Sira asked.

"Remember that casino they had further down, lets go to that. See if I get lucky in the big easy." Ray did a dance.

We laughed.

"I'mma go back to the hotel y'all." I said.

"Why?" Ray said.

"Because I'm not about to gamble my money away."

"Bitch you got more." Ray said.

"Bye Ray. Call me when y'all finish and I'll meet y'all for dinner somewhere on bourbon street."

"Okay grandma. Acting like you a 100 years old." Ray rolled her eyes.

Sira laughed and they waved goodbye and headed toward the casino.

I headed back toward the hotel, but first I wanted to stop at Cafe Du Monde and get me some beignets. I ordered and was about to continue walking when I noticed August at a table by himself drinking something and looking at his phone.

I nervously walked over. I cleared my throat.

He looked up at me. He had no expression on his face. He looked really good. Thicker than when we were together. He was no longer super skinny. He had bulked up a bit.

One thing I did notice was the wedding ring on his finger.

"Can I sit?" I asked.

He just made a motion with his hand to say I could then turned back to his phone.

"What are the chances that I come to New Orleans and run into you?" I laughed.

He did not, my smile faded.