Chapter Twenty-One - Connections

"So you're telling me that Jennifer, Russell's potential sister in law, wants you to meet with a friend of hers who is talented in the culinary arts?" Monica asked for clarification about my stress.

I nodded my head and shifted my gaze to the floor as I sighed.

"What's the big deal? I mean you're an amazing cook and even better whenever you make those cute little sweets for us. I think I agree with Russell on this one Jane, you'll do great in the culinary field." Amy said with a smile causing me to cheer up a bit.

"If anything, shouldn't you use this opportunity to your advantage, Jane?" Monica stated, catching my attention. "Because if you really do end up going into the culinary field as you've been thinking, then these connections will help open more doors that could lead to even more beneficial opportunities."

"That's very true." I said to myself. "Thank you guys again for always helping me in times like these."

Monica and Amy smiled at me as they knew I meant every word I said. It was nice to see friends that really cared for me as they did. It makes me even more grateful that they have stuck by me since the beginning of senior year when they didn't need to speak to me at all.

After a few more moments of catching up with one another, we all finally went our separate ways as the school day was over and I wouldn't see them tomorrow as I thought it would be best to take Friday off in order to prepare for Saturday's meeting with Jennifer's friend.

Russell promised to collect the work I'll miss and come over straight after school to help me with anything he can, even if it just means seeing him as I cook.

It's crazy to think how this monster who once had a hard shell around his heart now has nothing but warmth that I'm constantly finding myself to be engulfed in.

Russell was working towards building a better relationship with his brother but the reason as to why they didn't have a great relationship to begin with continues to be unknown to me.

On the way home from school today I thought it would be best to stop by and get some flowers for my aunt and uncle since they brought me back a few things from their mini-vacation also known as the time they went to attend a college meeting for my cousin Sam.

Speaking of Samuel, that guy has not stopped asking me about Russell and how we were doing since he's gotten back. It seems like he grew a liking to Russell as I did, which isn't hard to do since Russell is pretty amazing when he's not so bitter all the time.

"Good afternoon Jane, how can I help you today?" The elderly lady Sally asked me with a smile that I soon returned. "Do you want the same purple tulips for Cecilia?"

I nodded my head as I was a bit flustered at her memory. I didn't expect Sally to remember my last order of flowers for Cece as it had been a while since I came by to get some flowers for the house.

"Thank you." I said as I saw Sally hand my the purple tulips in a small vase.

I made sure to leave more than enough of a tip for Sally as I knew she would appreciate it as her shop was home-grown. She had been a florist for the past fifty years in this town I lived in.

My walk home was cut short when I saw a familiar face as I passed the gates that stood in the front of my neighborhood.

"I thought you had something today? And that's why you couldn't come with me after school."

His grey-blonde hair was getting messy as the wind blew strands in all directions. His amber eyes were still on my green ones and I was taking in his appearance before me.