47 | This is Christmas - Part I

Start from the beginning

I sprang onto my knees and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Thank you, James! This is the best gift anyone has ever given me!" I exclaimed.

He laughed and patted my back. "I'm glad you like it." He glanced over his shoulder out the window. "Hey, you wanna go take it for a drive?"

A grin split my face apart. "Yes!"

I threw my hoodie on over my pajamas and we snuck down the stairs and out the door, running to the Impala as a few snow flurries grazed our faces.

I had slid down against the wall of the shower, my legs pulled in close to my chest. I was weeping openly, the salty tears from my eyes mixing with the now lukewarm water from the faucet.

Oooh, there'll be no more sorrow, no grief and pain/And I'll be happy... Christmas... once again.

Miles

I came into Rachel's room, wondering what was taking her so long in the bathroom. She had been known to take long showers, but this was extreme, even for her.

I tapped on the bathroom door. "Rachel?" I called.

No answer.

I could hear the final notes of a Christmas song, and when I realized what it was, my heart sank.

Please come home for Christmas. James' favorite Christmas song.

"Shit," I muttered, turning the doorknob and entering the steam-filled room.

I could see through the shower door that she was sitting, her head on her knees. I tapped the pause button on her phone, and looked at her, tears in my eyes.

"Oh, baby," I murmured, opening the shower door and stepping in, not bothering to even take my clothes off first.

She looked up at me, her eyes red and puffy from crying. I dropped to my knees in front of her and held her to me, the chilly water soaking through my t-shirt and basketball shorts.

"It's not fair, Miles," she cried into my chest, her words muffled.

"I know baby," I cooed, running my hand through her wet hair that had become tangled during the duration of her shower.

"I miss him so much," she sobbed, looking up at me. "I wish you could've known him. He would've loved you."

"I'm sure I would've loved him too, Rach." I swallowed hard and a tear fell down my cheek. "I'm so – I'm so sorry my asshole of a father took him away from you," I whispered.

She put her hand on my face. "Oh Miles... we've been through this. It isn't your fault."

I shook my head. "No, I know. I'm just..." I trailed off, not knowing what else to say.

She rested her forehead on mine. "I love you."

"I love you too, baby." I reached up and turned off the water. "Now let's get you out of here before you get frostbite."

She smiled weakly as I stood up and leaned over, sweeping her into my arms, stepping out of the shower. I sat her down on the toilet and wrapped a towel around her. "Get dried off and I'll grab you some clothes, okay?"

She nodded and I went into the bedroom, peeled off my soaking wet clothing, dropped it in a laundry basket, and put on a pair of dark jeans and a gray half-zip sweater.

I brought her an oversized t-shirt, and saw that she had already put her bra and underwear on. "Here, babe," I said, and she took it gratefully, pulling it over her head.

She picked up a comb and started to comb her hair, but I could tell it was a tangled mess.

"Here," I offered. "Let me," I said, taking it and leading her into her bedroom. "Sit," I commanded, and she took a seat on the hope chest at the end of her bed. I climbed onto the bed and put a leg on either side of her waist. She rested her arms on my legs and I started to comb the knots out of her hair.

We sat in silence as I combed, and only after a few minutes did she speak. "Miles, do you really know how much I love you?" she asked seriously.

I put down the comb and pulled her back against my chest. She looked up at me, her grey eyes cloudy. "What do you think?" I asked her.

She bit her lip. "I hope you do."

I turned her shoulders gently and she shifted so she was in front of me on her knees. I put both of my hands on her cheeks. "I know how much you love me, silly. You know how?"

She shook her head.

"Because I love you even more," I teased, knowing that would make her smile.

"Nuh-uh, no way," she said, grinning.

I kissed her gently. "Now get dressed so we can go celebrate with our families, okay?"

"Okay," she agreed, standing up and going to her closet to pull out the long-sleeved red dress she'd bought for our Christmas party.

As I watched her pull the t-shirt over her head and slip into the dress, I marveled over her once again – and at how lucky I was to have the chance to spend the rest of my life with her.