Gu Fang Bu Zi Shang Vol01 Ch26

The transfer of governing rights to Dong Lin had occurred twice in its capital city and only selected few understood the shocking events.

Early on the next morning, the peasants cautiously came out of their rooms. They had hid as requested all night. Despite the endless fire and sound of battle, the King was still the King and the Royal Residence was still the Royal Residence.

The staff was assured safety while the imprisoned officials were brought to the Royal Residence. The King of Dong Lin summoned them one by one, not scolding them but praising them, such as the Senior Official of the Right's draft had called for help instead.

Everyone knew what this implied and was beyond delighted.

Apart from a few who stubbornly resisted during the invasion, there weren't many injuries and deaths, but the King issued a pension for their families anyway.

The mighty Dong Lin troops remained behind, but the famous general, the Duke of Zhen-Bei, had already parted.

Out on the yellow-mud paths, a group of carriages, without flags, slowly moved ahead.

There were carriages and horses in the group. The riders' faces were distant, obviously unwilling, and light rarely seemed to enter their eyes. Two of the carriages in the middle were for women and children, while the other two's contents were unknown but they were seemingly heavy, as the tyres left deep tracks in the mud.

One of the carriages wasn't decorated very magnificently, but it seemed expensive enough, as its frame and its wheels were made out of extremely rare, good wood. Simple but generous.

After a long night, inside the carriage, Chu Beijie currently had his eyes closed.

Dong Lin's trouble was over. After this incident, the King of Dong Lin would no longer suspect him of killing the two princes.

But a father had lost his son, an older brother had lost his younger brother, while Dong Lin no longer had the general who protected the country.

Dong Lin would have to deal with the terrible consequences for many years to come. Even Chu Beijie didn't dare imagine.

But the poison came from her hands.

Chu Beijie lifted his hands, looking at the thick, thick calluses caused by wielding his sword too much. He remembered her hands, her slender fingers, white and delicate. Hands that touched the qin, picked flowers and could also minister poison.

"The most poisonous of all...is really a woman's heart after all?" He narrowed his inky black eyes.

Not wishing to let anyone see the depth of his eyes, he closed them, lost in thought. After a while, his breathing evened and gradually, he seemed to be sleeping.

The road was bumpy up and down, causing the carriage to jump. Step by step it moved, further away from the past.

The driver of the carriage seemed to have hit a rock and was momentarily caught off balance. Chu Beijie's regular breathing stopped and he straightened his back. Then, as if all feeling came back, he called, "Stop the carriage."

He pushed open the carriage curtain and his body began to shake.

On the side of the road, there was a delicate figure. One hand patted the horse while the other held its reins by her side, touching the tips of the uncut grass. Heaving the group stop, she turned to look at them, revealing a stunned expression, rather than shocked, when seeing Chu Beijie's face. She gently exclaimed, "Duke, Pingting has come as promised."

Not only Chu Beijie, but also the people travelling with him, was frozen like wood carvings. Bai Pingting's red mouth smiled breezily. "To be honest, Pingting has been worried for a while, as I don't know how to meet up with Duke, so I had to wait on the road. If Duke ended up passing Pingting, then that meant our destiny has ended. I did also go to Dong Lin, but it seems that Duke no longer has any connection to it from now on."