Gu Fang Bu Zi Shang Vol01 Ch21

The sound of wind strongly whipped in their ears. Pingting's eyes were tightly squeezed shot and could feel Chu Beijie's strong arms tightly clutching onto her. Although Chu Beijie fell later, he had flipped Pingting in midair so that his back was facing towards the ground.

There were several cracking sounds as the two fell through the canopy of dense forest. Snapped branches fell messily alongside them.

In the midst of the dense forest of tall, centuries-old trees, the cracking sound continued, although the two's plunge seemed to have been softened by the branches a little. Pingting and Chu Beijie tightened their grips, refusing to let go, as they knew they were approaching the ground rapidly and survival was unlikely.

Even if they died, at least they were together.

Thump! Thump! Two muffled sounds came from within the quiet, ancient forest. There was no predicted sound of bones shattering as they hit the ground, only two strange sounds. It seemed that the ground was soft like cotton and had significantly reduced the momentum of the two's fall.

Pingting and Chu Beijie opened their eyes, not daring to think that they were still alive. The two looked around and suddenly yelled, "Ahh!", in both delight and shock. The surrounding trees grew an unknown type of berry. Due to its remoteness, its flowers bloomed of their own accord and no one picked its berries, leaving them to fall onto the ground. Year by year, the layer of wild berry and leaves has increased in size. At this time of the year, the wild berries had just ripened and fell once more, so the layer had been thick enough to save their fall.

The foliage that lay peacefully on the ground was like a landing cushion and had saved them as if fate decided so.

Pingting flashed Chu Beijie a sweet smile, they were in a place where no one had ventured before. The corners of Chu Beijie's mouth had not quite lifted, when they froze, revealing a strange expression instead.

Seeing his state, Pingting's face couldn't help harden as her eyes quietly studied Chu Beijie.

It was as if Chu Beijie had thought of his something and his expression darkened every passing second. Then, as if covered in a layer of frost, he spun out of the "fruit mix" and chose a less fruit-covered place to rest.

Pingting gaped as he walked away, staring dazedly ahead for a while. She saw that Chu Beijie had taken off his war bag and that fresh blood was trickling out of his right arm, towards the ground. Realisation shocked her as she approached him, head bowed in shame. "I'll help you," she whispered.

"Go away." Chu Beijie grunted, cold and ruthless. He heard Pingting stiffen and take a step back, eyes fixed on himself. Chu Beijie ignored her and took out some expensive ointment, that he always kept nearby in cases of emergency, out of his battle bag. He spread it over his wound, grinding his teeth in pain and wrapped it up in a bandage.

"Cloud Valley route..." Pingting knew that he was angry and softened her voice, "I was the one who ordered to stop you from reaching our command tent, sorry for forgetting to tell you."

Chu Beijie didn't seem to be listening. His head was bowed too, as he continued to wrap up his wound on his right arm.

"Back then, the two armies were clashing and as the main military advisor, I had to decide on a tactic. I...who knew that you'd return that way too..."

Chu Beijie jerked his head, his sharp eyes piercing Pingting. In a cold voice, he said, "Coming or returning, I would've gone on that route either way. So your original...original plan was to kill me. Nice, nice." He stared at her even harder. How could he not be angry, first feeling delighted then realising that he might've just been killed by the very same person, his sweetheart?