the ace of spades

In a far away country stood a king in his grand castle. Surrounded by plates made of gold, utensils formed of silver, and statues sculpted of only the best marble he lived an easy life. For a long time he had fooled himself, telling himself that he deserved the life he created. The years of strife he had endured lead him to this. He was rightful to take power, to wield it against enemies. It was just.

The day he started to question if he was wrong was the day his dear sister, Diana, was found on the shore of his beautiful capital city. Covered in seaweed and drenched in salty water she was knocked unconscious. On her wrist was a mark unlike any other, mistaken for a tattoo at first by the fishermen who found her. Once she made it to King Alexander, her brother, he knew in an instant what it was.

The crowd of nurses Alexander called was seen by everyone as they ran through the streets of the city. Everyone's head turned as they saw the frantic healers circle around Diana, taking in her state. She wasn't responding to any of their treatments and she was slowly turning a dull shade of gray. It started to worry the healers which were part of her line. If their sire died, they would too.

Diana was hurried to The Acre which was centrally located in the city. It towered above everything else and it was known to take the breath away from anyone who laid eyes on it. The walls were made with the finest, strongest rock in the world and was also strengthened by spells that only the best witches had cast. The rumor was that the whole castle had marble flooring with not a vein in sight and golden chandeliers in each room. Even the infirmary was decked out in lavish decorations.

Diana would have agreed if she was awake to see it but she was still out as they rolled her into the giant room. They quickly lifted her to the fluffy white bed that was identical to all of those around it. A cluster of Healers stayed by her side, holding out their hands as different shades of purple exuded from their fingers.

"Do you know what happened?" Alexander asked, frantic. He was leaning over their shoulders, butting in where ever he could. A few side-eyed him, wondering who this girl was that concerned their mighty ruler. They didn't know who was in their grasp; not every vamp was educated on the originals and their sire lines, they just lived their long lives.

"Do you know what this is?" He asked about the symbol that seemed to glow in time. It was starting to worry him, the eerie glow. Just looking at it made shivers go down his spine. That symbol belonged on cards, not vampires.

"Alex?" a woman called, rushing into the cast room. She was concerned, whipping her dark purple hair around. It was like a cloud above her head, it resembled a halo. "Alex, where are you?"

As she laid eyes on him the true weight of the situation became apparent to her. Alexander had been their when his own father died, the same symbol etched into his skin. Now his closest sister was about to succumb to the same fate if she didn't act fast.

"Evanora," Alex breathed as he looked at her. He was trying to keep a strong presence, trying not to be pessimistic but as soon as he saw his best friend, his walls came crashing down. Defeat was already written all over his face and his eyes was starting to take on a glossy look.

"I'm here," she whispered not breaking eye contact. Alexander tried a small smile but it broke within seconds as Diana started to jerk around on the bed. Panic crept it's way into everyone who was standing in the room.

Evanora looked down at the symbol on Diana's wrist, a spade that was slowly expanding in little shoots off the sides. The dark shimmer followed up Diana's arm seeming to follow her vein. Evanora watched as it crept up her arm. Just as it was about to reach above her elbow Evanora shouted out a command.

"Turniquiet her arm before it spreads to her heart." she barked as she pushed a few healers out of the way. She pushed up her sleeves and placed her hands on Diana's arm, feeling the true power of the curse that was bestowed on her.

"Get me some salt!" Evanora screamed as she held on to her with a deathly grip. Her face scrunched in pain, the curse knew what she was going to do and in self-defense, was attatching itself to her as well. "And a deck of cards!"

"What?" Alexander asked, standing in the same spot as the healers around him ran around looking for the things Evanora had mentioned. The room was in a frenzy.

"I need a Joker, preferably black." she seethed as she felt the symbole start to form on her arm as well. Her whole body begged her to let go but she knew if she did that it would be the end of Diana and her sire line. She couldn't imagine what it would do to Alexander to see his sibling die before his eyes.

"I found a deck," a young shaman called, his deep brown hair falling in his eyes as he ran it to Eva.

"Open it and get the joker out," she instructed. Alexander noticed the dark purple glow start to form on her arm as well.

"Here," the boy stuttered, holding out the card to her.

Evanora took it quickly and slammed it onto Diana's wrist, covering the symbol.

"Maledicite terrae palae

yeild usque scurra

Dimittas, dimittas, dimittas!" Eva chanted. She repeated this over and over again, squeezing the card harder and harder, her knuckles turning white. Slowly the shimmer shrunk, receding from her own arm as well as Diana's.

Diana's eyes slowly peeled open, revealing her bright, shining, purple eyes. Her mouth opened, revealing her long fangs. Both Alex and Evanora knew what had to happen.

"Dormi." Eva called. Diana instantly fell asleep, out cold.

"Thanks," Alex looked at his friend and nearest advisor. His voice was still a little shaky which struck a chord within Eva.

"No problem, but I think instead of celebrating we should figure out who did this to her." Eva smiled, letting go of Diana's arm at last. The Joker was stuck to her hand and when she looked down, she saw the ace of spades laying on Diana's arm.

"It has to be someone powerful, not anyone can conjure the curse of spades."Eva grimaced as she picked up the card that had a faint glow. "Not to mention strong enough to kill an original,"

---

A/N: hey! sorry this isn't the best chapter but it's mostly here to set up the situation for the whole book! (and to introduce some characters), Nevertheless, I hope you like it! Be prepared for another chapter on friday!! I'll try to post it around 12PM CT! Thanks for reading!

Please don't forget to star, comment and share! Thanks so much!Chapter Question: What kind of supernatural being would you want to be? ♡ admin seulbi