{Ch 02}

"Don't shy away from new people, new energy, new surroundings

"Don't shy away from new people, new energy, new surroundings. Embrace new chance at happiness."
-Billy Chapata
~~~~~

- Jackson POV -

My sight was blinded at the sudden contrast between the black of the night and the fluorescent lighting of the shabby motel. The man working finally acknowledged my presence, groaning in despair at the thought of actually having to work during his shift. He plopped the old Harley Davidson magazine onto the desk in front of him and stared me down.

"What'll it be, kid?" He asked, voice scratchy from years of age.

"One room, one night." I requested, shaky from my lack of interaction with the outside world.

The Grand Coven believed that the people outside our our little bracket of witches would be a bad influence on my behavior and my practices. I always bid by their rules, mostly for the sake of my mother, therefore giving me zero people experience. Seeing this rough looking man in such a sketchy place gave me a feeling of dread, but I shook it off and watched him roll his eyes as he marked it down on a crinkled piece of paper. The perfectly usable computer in front of him sat, screen black, and I suppose he wrote it down for the sake of not having to go through the logging process.

"That'll be $105 Miss." He responded. His fingers tapped on the countertop, clearly annoyed and impatient.

I mumbled a quiet apology and rummaged through my sweatshirt pocket, finding a stash of crumpled ones, a couple twenties, and a hundred. As I exchanged the money for the key, the bell of the door rang behind me. Out of curiosity, I glanced at the entering figures. Who else would show up to a sketchy place this late into the night?

There were two men, built in stature, showing a subtle resemblance to each other. The taller one had to be over 6ft, with shaggy brown hair and calm hazel eyes. The shorter one, in comparison, was around 6ft and had a pair of mossy eyes, defined jawline, and a charming smirk. Both carried large duffel bags and eyed the room wearily.

"You gotta be kidding me." The man at the desk grumbled grimly behind me.

I glanced back at the worker, grabbed my key, and picked up my bag from where I placed it on the ground earlier. My eyes were already fighting to stay open from exhaustion, but when I spun around they shot open. My face happened to be inches away from the shorter of the pair.

"Hey, shortcake." He smirked, and I backed away until both of their faces could be seen.

The taller one stepped forward, glaring at the other before addressing me, "Sorry about him. He doesn't know the definition of boundaries."

"It's fine."

I cut off the shorter one, seeing his mouth open in rebuttal. I've had enough fights in my time to last a room full of people their whole lives. I didn't need to see these two men, which I've never met before, take it out on each other in a motel lobby.