Moo Shu to Go Part 01 | Season 1 Episode 5

Start from the beginning

"And how is that working for you?"

When Alec reentered Corey's bedroom, he hadn't expected to find the gangly male sprawled across the mattress, his eyes closed. When Alec had asked what he'd been doing, the smaller male answered timidly: "Thinking."

The eldest Lightwood sibling entered the bedroom without invitation and laid himself beside Corey, his hands folded neatly on his chest. "Penny for your thoughts?" he asked—a childhood saying Corey hadn't expected. He was silent for another moment.

"... Dollar."

Alec looked to Corey like he'd been joking, but when the teenager remained unmoving, Alec placed a crumpled dollar in his hand—ignoring the minimalist smile that creased in Corey's lips. "Jocelyn. Luke. Simon." When he'd heard the name of the child-like-mundane, Alec stiffened. "L- Luke? Who is that?"

"... I—" Corey began to gnaw at his lower lip, his eyes peeled open as reality embraced him once more. "No one."

. . .

"Looks like we're stuck with each other." Clarissa, who'd waited reluctantly for the arrival of both Corey and Alec, sighed. "I'm sorry for how your Mother treats you if it means anything—"

"It doesn't. Mothers are like that."

"Mine isn't." Alec, surrendering a bow staff to Corey, eyed Clarissa narrowly, but commented nothing to her words. "Go ahead and knock me on my ass, you'll feel better."

"Don't make him say you're right about something," murmured Corey as he trailed to the other end of the room, seating himself on the ground. Alec laughed softly at Corey's words as he gestured toward Clary's feet.

"Plant your feet wide."

Corey watched as the two fought one another, one blow after the next—though, Alec was easing his strength on the girl, he could tell. It wasn't until Clary had fallen did Alec acknowledge Corey, smiling crookedly. "Your turn." Corey, looking from his right to left, faced Alec—the corners of his lip tugging downward as he pointed quizzically to himself, silently asking: Me?

Alec nods his head in confirmation, motioning Corey over with a single finger. "But, uh, I– I normally play bench..."

"That was in the mundane world," says Alec. As Corey stood, he felt a debate tipping his tongue but remained silent as he lifted the bow staff. Mocking both Clary and Alec's precious stance, he raised his bow staff, but before either could make a blow Alec's phone had begun to ring. With a bitter curse, Alec unearthed his lively phone and left.

Corey looked awkwardly toward Clarissa—neither had truly spoken since the night they heard of Dots death, at least, not alone.

Clary swayed from where she stood but didn't speak, nor make any real effort to approach Corey. It wasn't until Corey had turned away from her, did she speak. Only making it three, small, strides, she said: "I didn't mean what I said. Not everything, at least."

"So, what part did you mean?" Corey inquired, his voice as quiet as a single raindrop caught in New York traffic.

"You're changing, Corey. Ever since..." her voice trails as she eyed Alec warily across the room—Corey didn't have to follow her sight to know whom she spoke of. "At a time like this," she continued, "we—"