Moo Shu to Go Part 01 | Season 1 Episode 5

Alec held Corey as if—dare he think—afraid to let go.

The Shadowhunters and the Warlock remained still in the room where nearly all had watched Clarissa and Corey's memories slip from their fingers. Corey remained seated at Alec's lap, pulled into his chest, and though Corey couldn't recall how he'd found himself in this position he didn't dare to ask.

"Why would you do that?" Alec spoke—the first words to be spoken since Corey awakened. Corey pulled away minimally so he'd catch Alec's gaze, his words had been slow and quiet as if afraid is to ask.

"Do what?"

"Risk your life... For me," Alec amended. "You could have died, Corey."

"I— I don't know."

. . .

"I saw him, I heard him. 'Your Mother for the Cup,' that's what he said!"

Alec, who'd hadn't yet fallen asleep, supported a near exhausted Corey, who risked falling at any moment. After what had happened in the Warlocks home, Alec had yet to leave Corey's side—fearful something may happen to him again—he'd spent majority of the night watching over Corey as he slept, and though Corey was leaning toward confronting Alec's actions, was far war-weary to fight the Archer.

"Who said that?" inquired Alec, his arm draping itself absently around Corey as the smaller lad begun to lean into him.

"Valentine." At this, Corey felt himself waking but made no effort to stray from Alec's hold. "He's with my Mother," Clary continued, frantic.

"And he can speak to you through that necklace?" inquired Alec, his stance straightening. "Here, in the Institute?"

"It was like when I saw Dot."

"It's a Portal Shard," Corey realized and when the three had all looked to him, expectant, he meaninglessly shrugged and answered: "I saw a book." Alec, twisting his head negatively, smiled fondly. "That's why your Mother made sure you had it."

"Our Mother."

Alec leaned forward, asking, "Where is she?"

"I–All I know is that our Mother's alive." her lips stretched into a toothy grin. "Unconscious, but alive."

"Where are they?"

"I don't know."

"But you saw them"—the frustration was written in Alec's creasing brows—"were there any identifying characteristics? Equipment, weapons, photographs?"

"I don't remember," Clary disclosed, her smile dimming. "It was awful."

"Alec, lighten up—"

"I'm trying to get something we can use out of this," Alec justified. "Clary, what did you see exactly?"

"Valentine with my Mother. That's what I saw."

Alec scoffed at the woman. "Emotions are nothing but a distraction. You are ruled by them. We're taught to control them."