Chapter 7 "Sugar Kane"

"In the beginning, there were five great families representing the five points of the pentagram." Morgan traces the pentagram on the front of the book he's holding. 

"House Noir, is the North point on the star. My family descended from these witches." After gently stroking the north point he moves his finger tip over to the western point. Again,softly tracing the point like a feather, he continues, "House West - Hermione's family."

"The rest of our coven members are from the bottom two forks of the star.  We call these forks Anubis, the left and right ears of the dog." 

"An upside down dog?" I interject to break the tension. 

"Right. And, just like a beehive, we have "worker bees". The witches and warlocks of the Anubis who lend their strengths to the three upper points." He splits three fingers out to stroke the points in a W shape. I'm surprisingly distracted by his hands, they're masculine and tanned - strong. 

I'm not usually in heat like this, why does Morgan have this effect on me? 

"Ok, so who represents the Eastern point?" I ask.

"The Eastern point belongs exclusively to descendents of House Reine Des Sorts." 

Morgan doesn't touch the point this time, he stares at me in fear, I'm assuming he's worried that I will laugh at him or get up and walk out. 

"Ok, step back, in the beginning of what?" I sigh, this is turning out to be a really long night.

"Our recorded history, we are all born of magic and bound to magic." Morgan taps the book indicating that it holds "recorded history". 

"So if I'm buying into this,  what does any of this have to do with some creep attacking your friend at my house tonight? And is this why people stare at me all of the time? Am I stuck in some sort of shared delusion?" 

I stretch out my legs and notice Morgan's gaze following them all the way up to my very short mini-dress hemline. 

Morgan literally shakes it off, shuddering his shoulders as he shifts his gaze away from my bare thighs. He opens the book in his lap and flips through the pages, stopping about a third of the way in. 

"Here, take a look at this." he hands me the book. 

"Reine Des Sorts - A family of extreme power and influence, born to lead. A Reine Des Sorts does not join a coven, they are destined to lead it. A Coven without a Reine Des Sorts descendent is known as a Western or Northern coven with one or both of these representatives assuming leadership. A coven with a descendent is known as complete."

"Awww, are you trying to say you need me to complete you? Look - I am kind of wondering if you are all out of your minds. You want me to lead your witch group? Wear all black, get really pale and find comfort in the company of spiders?"

"Erika, we're desperate, we really need you." Morgan looks serious.

"A hot pink coven? How did you even get mixed up in that?" I laugh.

"The whole "pink explosion" thing is a front to make people comfortable with Hermione's girl gang so that the ladies can stick together at school without suspicion. People here know about covens and witches, they're easier to spellbind into acceptance if there is a reasonable excuse for whatever they see as possible witch activity." Morgan licks his lips and I realize it's actually really warm here by the fireplace so I take off my sweater. 

"Not fair." Morgan shakes his head and I laugh. "Why do you get to distract me while I'm trying to be serious? Could you be any hotter?" He looks like he means what he's saying, I blush and figure I'd better get him back on track or I'll never hear the end of this story.