Chapter Nineteen: Pain

~Jack's POV~

I woke up, my face and body on fire. I couldn't move. I couldn't open my eyes for even a second. (Y/N)'s voice sounded distorted. But I heard words like, 'Fan', '212.2' and 'temperature'. The pillow under me was soaked in sweat. It made it uncomfortable to try and sleep. Fatigue took over every inch of my body and I tried to move. Nothing. A few seconds later I felt a cool air burst onto my hot skin. My body started to shake violently from the sudden change in temperature. I felt like my body was icing over. 

I heard a click and the cool air stopped flowing. My body stopped shaking and my hot skin returned again.

What was happening? Mark's distorted voice rang out and reverberated around the room. "Shld...call..dctr." Is all I got before I fell into a deep slumber once again.

~Three days later~

I woke up again, this time.. I could open my eyes. The light from the room made me groan in pain. I felt like I was dying of thirst and heat exhaustion. (Y/N) gave me water and as soon as it settled in my stomach, I threw it back up into the bucket that (Y/N) sat beside my bed. I didn't have an appetite like I usually did. I didn't know what exactly was wrong with me. (Y/N) and Mark never said anything about it. I felt alone sometimes. Was I sick? Was I tied down? I didn't know.

~(Y/N)'s POV~

You and Mark decide to sit on the couch and try to catch grape-like tomatoes in your mouth. 

"Go sit on the far end of the couch and I'll start throwing the mini tomatoes." Mark nods and excitedly sits on the opposite end of the couch while you sit down on the left end. You pick out the smallest tomato and throw it toward his open mouth. It hits his shoulder and you both laugh. He picks it up and brushes it off. You had vacuumed the day before so it should be fine. He then says, "Five second rule!" and pops it into his mouth. You make a pretend face of disgust and laugh again. It's now his turn to try and get the red tomato into your mouth.

You pass the small container over to him and open your mouth in order to catch it. He takes a bigger one and throws it toward your mouth. It hits the bridge of your nose and you make an 'ow' sound, even though it didn't hurt. 

Mark laughs. "That shouldn't have hurt, (Y/N)!" You grin. "It didn't. I've just been conditioned to say ow just incase it does." 

~Flashback to seven years ago~

You were fifteen and you lived with your Mother. You didn't have the strongest relationship with her ever since your Dad had died when you were ten. Your Mother had a strange man over every night and each one had a tenancy to.. get a little too rough with her. She knew how to pick 'em. Note the sarcasm. That one day you had just gotten home from Beth's study group. The four of you. At the time, you had a crush on Ben. He was a sweet boy at the age of sixteen. His parents had gotten divorced when he was six and they never made contact with each other he, like you was in a similar situation. Although he never went through the abuse that you did.

Randy always tried to get into Beth's pants. You never really like him. Beth loved to tease him though. You didn't think it was wise to do that. He got more anxious with each passing day.. but that story is for another time.

You were on your way home. Just another block. You thought. 

Eventually, your house came into view. You looked to both sides of the road for any cars. There weren't any, so you ran across the street and into the short grass surrounding your house. You could hear shouting from inside as you neared the steps, just loud enough for you to hear and not the surrounding neighbors. It was a wonder that no ones asked questions about the black eye your Moms had for a while. Everyone thought it best to leave it be. 

You bounded up the steps and took out your key to unlock the door, but as soon as you pushed it in the keyhole the door creaked open on it's own. You rolled your eyes and thought that maybe your Mother was too busy trying to have sex then to properly close the front door. 

You took out the key and shut the door behind you. The shouting became worse as you neared the kitchen. 

Your Mother was backed against the table and a man with greased back black hair stood over her, shouting in her face. You felt your instincts kick in and you instantly felt the blind rage filling up inside you. You marched up to the man and pushed him away from your Mother. She looked at you in shock and anger. "Leave it alone, child! I can handle him on my own." You gritted your teeth and pushed on, backing him up into the kitchen counter. The man was drunk, but surprise was plastered all over his face.

He soon became angry and pushed you onto the floor. Your anger became sheer dread and panic as you realized that you were just a kid and he was much stronger then you.

You backed up and hit the dining room chair that your Mother had been backed up against a few seconds ago. The man pulled you to your feet by your jacket hoodie and dragged you over to the hallway. He threw you into the wall and your head made a huge dent.

He pulled your head out  and drywall covered your face and shoulders. You coughed and a white, powdery smoke emerged. He threw your body at the wall, but this time you caught yourself and stood up, turning around and facing him. His fist pummeled your face. Your nose spurted blood in his eye and he made a weird sound. He then forgot about you and walked back into the kitchen, grabbing a paper towel for his eye. 

You then took the chance to grab your Fathers shotgun that you scared off every other man that came to the house and walked back into the kitchen. He turned around and faced you. The look on his face was pure panic and fear. You smirked and cocked the gun. For some weird reason, you loved the look of pure terror on the men's faces when you pulled the shotgun out. 

"Now get the fuck out of my house, or you'll be pulling pellets out of your ass for a week." He then ran out of the house screaming bloody murder. You kind of felt bad for the poor sot, but you also didn't.

Your Mother emerged from the kitchen, her face as white as a sheet. She glared at you and said, "This is why I never wanted a child." This hurt you but at the same time you were glad that she hated you. If she didn't, then you wouldn't have turned out the way you had. You would have had to deal with your Mothers emotions over your Dads death, year after year. 

You forgot that the shotgun was in your hands and trudged up stairs. "And I don't want to see that shotgun of yours ever again!" She yelled after you. You sighed and set the shotgun under your bed to prevent her from selling it like she'd tried to many times before. You didn't know why she'd forgotten that it was your Dads.. but you didn't care. You fell asleep to one thought that had gotten you through many days and nights.

Just a few more years..