CHEKHOV'S GUN

"Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say I'm the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."

So if this little excerpt doesn't tell you everything you need to know, Chekhov's Gun is a dramatic principle created by Anton Chekhov wherein he basically says that every element in your story has to have a reason for being mentioned to keep from giving the reader a "false promise" that something is going to occur.

This is something that you could apply to any form of writing, but I think that it is especially important with Stranger Things fan fiction, where there is a ton of possibility for twists and turns. Don't foreshadow something dramatic happening in your story if you aren't planning on following through with it, but drop hints for things that you are going to have later. It makes your readers more interactive when they get to theorize and guess about the future of your characters, and they don't get disappointed when she,thing they're sure is foreshadowing just turns out to be an extra detail you added in.

( iyanah! )