Part 55 - February 18th 1972

Start from the beginning

"OK then. We'll come with you!"

"Yeah!" He turned to Daniel, "Heard that Daniel? Mummy says that we can all go to work with daddy today. You, Mary and James with mummy and daddy!"

A short time later, Lucy carrying Mary and Paul holding hands with the boys, they emerged from the hotel and got into a waiting car. Klaus was already there and greeted the family brightly. The plan was to do and early sound check for the evening's performance and then have some time as a family later.

There was a small group of people at the sound check that greeted Paul enthusiastically as they arrived. They were members of his road crew who set everything up for him. Lucy stood back with the children and listened as Paul and Klaus discussed the upcoming show with the crew and watched as everyone set to work. Paul turned to her.

"OK love?"

She nodded.

"We'll start the sound check in about 10 minutes for about 30 minutes then I'm all yours!"

She smiled. "Sounds lovely!"

"Dada!" cried Mary suddenly as Paul began to walk away. "Dada!"

He turned and walked back to her. "Hello sweetheart. What's wrong?"

"Huggy dada!"

Paul lifted Mary from Lucy's arms and set off with her to the stage. He sat at the piano and placed Mary on his knee. Immediately she leaned over and began banging on the keys. Lucy watched as Paul called something to Klaus who then picked up a guitar. Paul pulled Mary back onto his knee so that she couldn't reach the piano keys anymore and then he began to play, accompanied my Klaus. Mary looked up at her daddy adoringly as he began to sing. James and Daniel stopped running round and looked towards the stage then came and sat with Lucy to watch what was happening.

"Daniel sing mummy."

Lucy smiled at her little boy.

"We'll sing soon Daniel love. Daddy just needs to sing with Uncle Klaus first."

Daniel nodded solemnly and looked towards the stage once more, captivated by the music. Once the song was over Paul spoke to Klaus then stood up.

"Lucy love!"

She looked up to him. "Yes?"

"Can you take Mary for me sweetheart?"

Lucy walked to the stage and took a grumbling Mary from her father.

"Want dada!" she wailed.

"Daddy will come soon Mary," Lucy soothed the little girl, "Come and sit with mummy and the boys now."

Lucy marveled at how well behaved her children were as they sat quietly watching Paul and Klaus rehearse some of the numbers for the evening. After almost an hour (she knew Paul's estimated half an hour wouldn't happen,) Mary had fallen asleep on her knee and James and Daniel both were looking sleepy.

Nearly two hours later Paul, finally satisfied that everything was ready for the evening, called it a day and told staff to go home. He walked through the seats to where Lucy was sat with the children, all three of them now asleep!

"Did I bore them?" grinned Paul, nodding towards the boys.

Lucy smiled. "Clearly!"

"Cheek!" Paul laughed, "So, what do you fancy doing for the rest of today?"

"What would you suggest?"

"There's a zoo not far from our hotel. The children would enjoy it."

Lucy looked excited. "Sounds lovely!" A day out as a family was a very rare treat! "We'll need to feed these three first though. Back to the hotel?"

Paul nodded. After placing three still sleepy children into the car, the family headed back to the hotel. They ate lunch in the hotel dining room for a change before heading out. As expected, the children loved the day at the zoo. To Lucy's surprise, the family weren't bothered too much, probably because it was a chilly day so it was quiet except for other parents with young children.

By 7.00 pm all three children were tucked up safe and sound in bed, allowing Paul and Lucy some quiet time before he left for the evening.

"I have something to ask you Lucy love." said Paul quietly.

"Oh?" She answered, still snuggled up to him on the sofa.

"Yes. Klaus and I have been talking and we've decided to form a band, rather than being a duo."

Lucy sat up and looked at him in surprise. "Really? Wow! How exciting!"

Paul smiled and nodded. "Yes, we've decided we're too restricted in what we can play live with just two of us so it makes sense."

"I can see that." said Lucy, "So have you asked anyone else to join yet or auditioned people?"

"Sort of."

Lucy laughed. "Sort of? What's that meant to mean?"

"We've got people in mind. We just need to actually ask them."

"Ooh, that's exciting!" said Lucy, "Good for you! Can I ask who or is it secret?"

Paul named a few musician friends Lucy also knew.

"I could see those saying yes love!"

"You think?"

She nodded.

"Anyway, we've also decided we want someone to play piano, keyboards and such like."

Lucy nodded.

"And Klaus has come up with a great idea as to who."

"Oh?"

"Mmm," said Paul, "So Lucy, how do you fancy becoming the piano/ keyboard player in my new band?"

Lucy looked at him then laughed. "Ha! Very funny!"

"I'm not joking Lucy love. We both think it would be a fantastic idea! What do you think?"

"I can't Paul! The children!"

"Lucy love, you're going to be travelling with us anyway, why not be in the band? You'd love it and so would I!"

"But..." she stopped.

"We could employ someone to help with the kids. When we're performing, interviews whatever! It would be great!"

"I don't want the children brought up by a nanny Paul. We've both said that!"

"I wasn't suggesting a nanny. I was thinking more like getting a new housekeeper now that Rose has married your dad and then, if it all works out and you're happy, then they could come along on tour with us and help with the kids. What do you think?"

Lucy looked doubtful. "I don't know Paul." She shook her head.

Paul took her hand. "Lucy love, once we go home after this tour, Klaus and I aren't planning any more live gigs for the rest of the year. Klaus is getting married would you believe! It will give us time to try a new housekeeper and get to know them. Then will you consider the idea?"

"But Paul..."

"Please Lucy, there's no pressure, but please just consider the idea!"

Lucy nodded slowly. It was always hard to say no the Paul when he was excited about something. "OK. We'll see how things go once we're home and then we'll see from there."

"You're a wonder!" He pulled her into his arms and hugged her. "Thank you my love!"

Laughing, Lucy hugged him back. "Remember, I said we'll see! I never made any promises!"