Part 49 - 1st October 1971

"Mrs McCartney?"

Lucy looked up at the man in front of her. She was sat in the back of an ambulance after being checked over by a paramedic. She had been given a clean bill of health, as had the children who had also been checked after their ordeal.

"Yes."

"My name is Inspector Ian Davidson," he told her, showing her his warrant card, "Do you feel well enough to answer some questions now?"

She nodded. "Yes. Can I go back into my house now?"

The detective shook his head. "Not at the moment. We're dusting for finger prints. Your father has said we can go to his house to talk. I believe it is close by?"

Lucy nodded.

A short while later Lucy, Daniel and the boys were driven the short journey to the vicarage. Rose followed, accompanied by a female officer, with Mary sound asleep in her pram. With Mary and the boys being supervised by Rose and a police officer, Daniel sat by Lucy as she faced the detective. She described the events of the previous night in as much detail as she could.

"Can you describe any of the men that were in your house?"

"Three of them wore mask things over their faces." she replied, shuddering at the memory, "And they never spoke to me so I don t know what their voices sounded like. The other two seemed to be in charge. They gave all the orders."

"What did they look like?"

Lucy described them as much as she could, especially the man who had forced her up to the bedroom whom she had had a good look at when trying to get Mary from him.

"Can you remember anything particularly distinctive about any of the men Mrs McCartney?"

"Distinctive? In what way?"

"Accents, facial hair, anything really."

Lucy thought for a moment then shook her head. "No, not really. I only heard two of the men speak. They sounded local....well, London anyway. I'm sorry!"

The detective nodded. "Thank you Mrs McCartney. You've helped us, don't worry! Plus, the whole downstairs of your house is full of prints, so fingers crossed."

Lucy nodded. "Thank you."

He handed Lucy his card. "If anything else comes to mind Mrs McCartney, my contact details are on this. Please call me any time."

"I will." Lucy sighed, "Do you know when I'll be able to go back to my house?"

"Not today I'm afraid." The detective looked apologetic, "The team won't be finished until tomorrow."

"OK. We'll have to stay with dad. Will I be able to get some things for the children from the house?"

"If you make a list of what you want and where it is, I'll get someone to collect them for you and bring them here."

"Ok. Thanks." The sound of Mary crying could be heard, "Are we done now? My daughter needs me."

"Yes, Of course."

Daniel stood up and showed the detective out of the house. Lucy followed him but headed to the living room where Mary was now awake and crying, Rose trying desperately to settle her.

"It's OK Rose," said Lucy softly, "She needs her medicine. She has an ear infection and it hurts her a lot! Would you mind warming Mary's bottle for her please?"

As Rose went out of the room, Lucy took her daughter and settled her on her knee. After giving her the necessary doses of medicine, Lucy sat back with Mary snuggled against her. She kissed her softly on her head.