Chapter 7

"Jess, wake up. They're gone." I heard the soothing voice of Mitch talking beside me.

"Thank God. Wow, that was a workout."

He smiled the way that a very proud father would. "I knew you could do it, kiddo. I'm just amazed you did it in such short notice. It is a very difficult skill."

"Ya, you're telling me. Thanks for the warning."

He cocked his head and stifled a laugh. Mitch always said I had my father's humor. Even though I don't remember him, sometimes I can still picture his amazing smile. Like most of the other Loriens, they sacrificed their lives for our planet.

Mitch also use to say that I had my father's beautiful looks and talent. He didn't always go into detail because he knew it made me sad, and that was one of his weak spots.

If I ever really needed anything, I would put on my little pouty face and Mitch would crack. I promised myself that I would only use it in times of emergency. Unless it came down to some really cute sneakers or something...

Mitch woke me from my thoughts. "You do realize what we need to do now."

"But Mitch...."

"No but's, Jessica. We are leaving. Now."

"I've never seen him this concerned or strict before, with the exception of a few previous life or death situations. He even turned down my puppy face, so I know something must be wrong. There had to of been something else that happened.

I gave him a quick teenager attitude. I stomped my foot and crossed my arms. "Fine, but I get to pick the next house. And my name." He started to talk, but I glared at him, turned and I stormed out.

I grabbed my phone from the downstairs kitchen table and sent out a mass text to the few friends I had. It was simple, but to the point. "Hey, I'm really sorry to start out a conversation like this, but I'm leaving Kentucky. For good." I had to come up with a good reason for withdrawing, so I used one of my old excuses. "My dad got a last minute job transfer and requires us too leave immediately.I will miss you so much, and I'll remember you always. KIT: Luv, Jess"

They all answered back immediately, asking all sorts of questions. I ignored all of them. Except one.

Nolan: "Haha u got me, Jess. Pretty convincing, babe."

I finally gave in and called him.

"Hey, Jessy. Haha seriously, don't prank me like that though."

I swallowed hard, and tried to keep my voice down. Nolan was my best friend, maybe even more. He was amazingly talented and super popular. He was even the captain of the basketball team. What I loved most about him was his eyes. They were a beautiful color, but I couldn't describe them because they always changed. At sometimes they would be a sparkling blue like the ocean, and other times it would be a dazzling emerald green.

    I had to remind myself that I promised I would never fall for another human. I swallowed and spoke, quite surprised that my voice was alot more stable than how I felt.

   I giggled. "Nolan, I'm not your babe."

"Ya, whatever. You know you are, babe."

    Ugh. The flirty persistence of him. Now was the time to break the news.

"Nolan, about the text..It's true. We have to leave. I don't want to. I...I really like you." I tried to cover up my mistake. My voice faltered, and I almost said 'love'. I mentally slapped myself in the face.

   "What?" He seemed mad now. Jessica Skylar, you are not gonna leave! Stay here!"

 He was almost at a shout, and his voice was very charming and quite persuausive. "C'mon, Jess. Youv'e trained for things way harder than this, and have done it many times". But still, I couldn't figure out why leaving this school was so much harder.

    "I'm..I'm sorry Nolan." My voice cracked. "We can still text. And call."

"It's not the same!" I was becoming angry with him now.

"Nolan Alex! I can't change it, what's done is done. I don't want to leave, but I can't do anything about it! Believe me, I've tried like crazy, and I don't want to leave you!"

   O crap. I blew it. As soon as I said it, I regretted it. I just had to open my mouth.

He laughed slightly.

   "Ok, just make fun of me."

He laughed again, wholeheartedly. "I'm not making fun of you. It's just...I knew it!" I could imagine his smiling face now, and I grinned like crazy.

   "But you do realize..." I stopped myself. I had to be strong. Before I could start up again, he interrupted.

  "I know you have to leave, but promise me one more thing. I have to see you before you leave."

I hesitated. "I'm leaving tomorrow..."

   "Tonight, the meeting place. I love you. See you soon." Then the phone went slack.

I held my breath. He said the three words I'd feared ever since we met. "What am I getting myself into," I groaned.