Chapter 3

The next morning is quiet. It's a Sunday, so like usual I'm bored out of my mind. I walk down the flight of stairs to Mitch's den. He's there, sitting at his desk, looking at my forged documents. According to my certificate, I'm 14 and my name is Jess Heights. We've lived here in Bradfordsville, Kentucky for about 2 months.

    "So, kiddo." Mitch only says that when something's wrong or he's trying to comfort me. The tv is on, and he stops to look at the news. About two weeks ago, a boy around my age named John Smith had completely obliterated an entire high school in the middle of nowhere, Ohio. "I'm 100% sure that's him. He's one of us." I said like I have a million times before. "There's noone else who could possibly do that much damage."

    "Except the Mogadores." he sighed heavily. There was silence for a time, and then he spoke up. "So listen, Jess, now that he has been brought to attention, I think it's time to.."

   "Not yet." I interrupt. I can't move again. I've just settled in, and I've finally made a few friends at school. "We just got here. Every Mogadore on earth will be on him."

    "If he's still alive."

  "Um, hello, wake up Mitch." I pulled my pant leg up, revealing three circular burn marks on my leg. "A fourth burn would have showed up already if he were dead."

  Mitch's face turned pale. "That's the thing I need to talk to you about. I've been following links and hacking into some databases..." he hesitated for a moment before continuing."It's been confirmed there is a girl traveling with him. Blonde hair."

    I grab at the pendant hanging on my neck. It is a magical charm that will only allow the Mogadorians to kill us in order. Three are dead. That's what the burn marks on my right leg represents. When one of us is killed, a searing pain on my leg results in the mark. I am number five, and I am safe. Until number four is killed, or.... the rest of the numbers reunite.

   Then all of a sudden everything sinks in. A girl traveling with the boy who is obviously number four. Blonde hair. Mitch's comment 'if he's still alive'. That's why. I start to hypervenilate. The boy and the girl. The only one who would travel with him is another one of us. She must be number 6, or one of the others. I thrust my hands over my face, for I understand what has happened.

        Number four has been united with another Lorien, probably 6. I am number 5, but it now doesn't matter. We can be hunted in any order. The magic is broken, and the spell is forsaken.