chapter 13

"Jessa? Are you sure you want a name so close to you're most recent one?" I nodded at Mitch. He scanned through my passport and papers once again, taking his time. 

      I was positive I wanted to stay with this name. I knew that Mitch would never let me keep 'Jess' because that would be too risky (or so he says) so I decided I would go with the next closest name I could think of. Jessa. For some reason, Jess was definitely my favorite name out of all of them. And believe me, that's ALOT. My more recent ones were names like Braydin, Cassandra, and Jasmyn. But as much as I thought of more names that were cool and suited me, I just kept going back to Jess. It actually felt as if this name were a part of me now. It was like the name 'Jess' hadn't been fulfilled yet. That this name was a bigger part of me, and my life. And I sure as hell wasn't ready to give up all the memories I'd lived with that name. 

     On the other hand, I felt like I was doing something wrong. Was keeping my name alive holding me back? I had always been told to not hold onto the past here on Earth. For these humans life was nothing but a silly game where you could do whatever you want. They were completely oblivious to the fact that any second, a beast could come and destroy everything they know to be true in a matter of minutes. If holding on to the name Jess was not letting go of my past and holding me back, then maybe I shouldn't go through the trouble of keeping it. The more I change and move on from my life, the faster I would forget about everything.

   But I just couldn't. Memories of me and Mitch arriving at our house and unpacking popped into my head.  We had turned on the TV, and a beautiful woman named Jess Sanchez had appeared on the screen. She was an actor, and apparently a pretty famous one. Her teeth were straight and pearly white, and her smile was perfect. She radiated confidence and lit up the whole stage, talking about her latest action movie as if it were real life. 

      That was when I knew that was the name for me. I wanted to be like her. Confient, courageous and beautiful. 

    "Jess?" Mitch took me out of my daydream. 

"Uh, what?" 

"I will repeat myself again. Go take your bags to the car and take off the license plate. I have a new one." 

"Geez, okay Mr. Grumpyass." 

He smirked. "clever wordplay. Now GO." 

I quickly slid down the stair railing and my bags floating in mid air behind me. I dropped at the bottom of the steps and picked up my bags. Always take precauitions when going outside, because it's not everyday when a random person sees bags flying behind a teenager. But who knows with kids these days.

     I set the bag in the pickup truck bed and unscrewed the license plate to take it inside. When I came in, Mitch had started a fire and was throwing papers into it. Old drawings, certificates and passports were being tossed in. I stepped toward the fire and stuck my finger in it, swirling around the flames.

  "Showoff," Mitch mumbled. 

I laughed and took my finger out. Just as I was about to walk out to get the remains from my bedroom, I saw something from the corner of my eye. Mitch started to pitch another stack of papers in.

  "Stop!" I ran toward the fire and lifted both my hands with exasperation. The photo flew out of the fireplace, less than a mere inch away from the flames. I grabbed the photo that was now zooming toward me and fanned it. The corners were a bit singed and gray, but other than that it was okay.

"You have to throw it out, kiddo" 

"No!" I begged Mitch. "Please, just this once. I've sacrificed so much already. One picture, I promise it will be well hidden. You'll never see it." 

Mitch examined me for a minute, staring straight into my eyes. I knew it was very risky and dangerous, but I could not give this up. "please" I spoke in telekinesis. 

He eyed me again, giving me his "serious look". To me it just looked like his "constipated face", but right now would probably not be the best time to mention that. 

"Just. This. Once." He set his brown cowboy-looking hat on his head, and walked out the door without another word. 

     I gave a slight smile, and looked once more of the photograph of me, Kenzie, Kehl, Nolan and Jack with marshmallows on a stick by a fire pit with our arms around eachother's shoulders. And, of course, Kehl was on the end shoving a smore's down his throat. Oh, it felt like so long ago. And at this moment, I decided that I was not ever going to let go of my past, and the many memories that came with it. Because now, they were a part of me and they always will be. And with that, I stuck the photo in my back pocket carefully, and with a smile on my face I walked out the door.

___________________________________________________

Sorry guys, this chapter was a bit short and super boring, but it had to be done. I'll try to work in some humor in the next couple of chapters. And once again, sorry for the late updates. I'll say my excuse is writer's block (because that's part of it). Haha, thanks again! Read, vote and comment:) Love you all :3