I Am Number 5: Spell Forsaken

I'm running for my life. I don't know what's chasing me, but I know it's gaining. I can smell the ravenous beast now, imagining him to be five times my size. He reeks of blood and rotting flesh. I pass some other unfortunate people staggering behind the rest of us. I want to help, but I'm so petrified in fear that all I can think is to run forward into nothingness.I pass a boy,14 or 15 like me, and for some reason he looks rather familiar, but I can't place his name or anything.

     I don't recognize any other of these poor, innocent people, but I know somehow they are of my kind. We are being hunt. Hunt to extinction. I hear the piercing screams and the horrible wails of the weaker as the beasts pierce thier bodies and throw them aside. I can hear one particular monster pursuing me now, panting my name. "Run for your life, Jess. There is nowhere to run, and I will catch you soon."

     Then I hear a scream that makes me freeze, my brain almost unable to process anything else around me. I suddenly don't care about the monser anymore. All I care about is finding the one that sent me on my journey. My goal. I hear him again, screaming out in pain. This reinvigorates me, and I start to run towards the directon where I hear his voice. It has to be him. I'm certain of it. "What have you done to him!" I scream behind me. The monster doesn't reply, but I know he is smiling, and starts pursuing me ever more.

     All of a sudden a long, ricketty bridge appears out of nowhere. Below lies a chasm that I can not see the deathly bottom of. I hate heights. The one thing I have real fear of in the mortal world. I try to remember my mission. Save him. I cannot let Mitch, my old guardian, down. I swallow my fear and start to sprint over the bridge, quite aware of the endless crevasse that could plunge me to my death.

     "Do not run, coward. Stand and fight. my minions and I will overwhelm you and your petty little friends and your impossible target. Stand and fight."

    I knew I couldn't beat him. I did know that the monster had just awakened and was not strong enough to fight a full-fledged battle against a trained Garde and her legacies. I hesitate, but I reluctantly turn around. I know that I must fiinish the savage's trainee off before I get to mine. I can't see the creature, but I know it's there. I must kill him now or I know I won't be able to handle it while watching over another person."Here goes nothing" I say as I run towards the beast, probably accepting my death.