C H A P T E R T H I R T Y T H R E E

-

-

. . .

-

                    The fire crackled inside the lit up hearth

                    The fire crackled inside the lit up hearth. Its embers flicking and jumping just below the dancing flames. A strong, tall figure stood just a little ways away, far enough to not get burnt but close enough to feel its warmth. Yet, he wasn't thinking of it for his own sake but for the precious babe that currently lay in his arms.

Xerxes finally smiled that night, after the longest time just dreading the day that would come after today. But now he had something, someone to look forward waking up to. The Mother had heard his plea, his plea of hope; and She had given him his Adelaide, his sweet Dela.

She's given him his purpose.

The girl fussed in her fur blankets, soft small grunts falling out of her lips as she drowsily opened her eyes. She couldn't see him quite clearly, only a blurred image of a face but she felt safe, she felt protected and she felt loved by this unknown object carrying her. Although, being only a baby, she couldn't have comprehended any of this just yet. She just wanted to get close enough to touch him, seeking that physical contact that all babes yearned for from their caregiver.

She cried out, arms breaking free of their confinements as her little fingers tried to reach out towards Xerxes as much as she was able to with having the limbs of a newborn baby.

He chuckled softly, momentarily mesmerized by her blue-green eyes before wandering over to his bed and lied her across his chest once he had settled against the headboard of the bed. He watched curiously as her tiny hands clenched and unclenched, whimpers still leaving her mouth, a cute frown already etched onto her face.

"Now, why is my sweet Dela so upset, hm?" Xerxes asked in a soft voice as he pressed a kiss on the top of her head where wisps of dark brown hair grew, brushing his knuckles softly on her rosy cheeks.