Cryptotrappers- Wolfbitten

Start from the beginning

The man turned to us, still bearing that hideous smirk but now with a glint of misplaced heroism in his eyes as he mimed drawing a rifle to his side, loading a bullet and firing. As a small applause and a round of cheers came from the other patrons, I turned to Eva in horror, who was visibly shaking.
"That... that wasn't an animal, that was, a woman! You know that, right? She- she was probably a part of your community, your friend, your friend's sister, I mean how, how could you do this to someone!"
The man returned to his seat, sniffing deeply before hurling a loogie into his empty glass as he answered.
"Course she was. That thing was Graham's wife."
"And if I'd known that she worshipped the Devil in 'er free hours, I'd 'ave put the bullet in 'er misself." the bartender, Graham, apparently, added as he mopped down the counter.
"So, if, if, if that was your mother, or, or your sister, or brother, or if that was you, then! You'd just, you'd just shoot them?" Eva questioned in horror as the wolf's attacker started on his second pint.
"If that was my Chris, then I'd send up a prayer that his soul somehow makes it up there before I put a bullet through his skull." the man confirmed. "And if it was me, I'd hope that he would do the same. Scrawny git was the most scared of the creature anyhow. Wouldn't even get to sleep that night until he'd locked himself in the basement, just in case it came for him. If he had the choice to pop its brains out, even if it was me, he'd do it. Just like the rest of us would."
"Are you going to order anything, or am I going to 'ave to call security?" Graham asked, glaring us down much like the rest of the pub now seemed to be. "I don't want to 'ave to use force against someone on crutches, but I will if I 'ave to."
"Oh don't worry, we're leaving." Eva snapped, as she turned towards the door, twisting back for one last remark. "But answer me this. How many people had that woman actually killed?"
"How long were we supposed to wait before she started?" the braggart at the table replied, as one of the patrons walked up to the door and slammed it behind us.

Eva and I walked in cold silence, at least until we'd reached the edge of the town. She was the first to speak, eventually.
"You know, when you go anywhere." she began, voice still cold and shaken. "Especially somewhere so close to home, you really do hope that they've advanced at least somewhat in the last one hundred and twenty years."
"Eva?" I asked, trying to shift the subject. "So, what actually is lycanthropy?"
"It's a bacterial infection." she replied, closer to her typical tone. "One that rearranges a human host into a more bestial form beneath the light of certain lunar conditions. They lose control over who they are, reverting to a more primal nature until the state ends and they return to their usual selves. Typically it's passed on through bodily fluids; either blood, saliva or on occasion, sweat."
"Well, is there a cure?"
Something sparked in Eva's eyes for just a second, before she turned away again.
"There's... no. Currently, there is no known cure for lycanthropy. But there are ways to prevent and delay the condition- for example the bacterium is particularly affected by the oligodynamic effects of silver, and certain silver compounds which will delay and weaken the transformation. But I'm certain, if we used what we had, we could come up with a real cure, something that could kill the lycanthropy in its entirety! But now... there's nothing we can do."
Stopping in the middle of the road, Eva's expression shifted once again. Her mouth opened slightly in realisation, and another spark had entered her eyes.
"Or maybe, there is something after all! Exo, I need to borrow your phone."
Dubiously, I reached into my pocket and handed Eva my phone, to which she began scrolling through with urgency.
"Okay... why?"
"For the weather report. That man in that pub, he did say one useful thing in his... diatribe. He said that he hunted her down two nights ago, through the rain. There was heavy rainfall that night until early morning. Any evidence of that night would have been washed away by now."
"So what?" I asked, clearly missing something. She beckoned down to the ground with her eyes, to which I followed her gaze and finally saw what she was focusing on. 
"So why is there still a wolf print embedded in the ground?"