Chapter 9

Zoe's POV

------------------

It is now Saturday afternoon. Alex, and I have spent everyday this week hanging out. Not worried about our project, or anything. I've actually started to enjoy his company. He's a really good listenener, and aside from a few perverted and smart comments he's actually a pretty cool guy.

I was actually hoping he would come over tonight so I can finally talk to him about lying to me about his dad working for Kara, and so he can try my dad's famous chili. but he said he has to do something with his family.

"Zoe, honey could you run the grocery store really quickly and get some diced tomatoes for the chili."

"Sure, dad." I run upstairs to get my wallet and shoes, and make my way back down the stairs. "I'll be back soon." I say and shut the front door. I make my way to my car and get in and drive to the grocery store.

**

Hmm, diced tomatoes. I wonder if he wants a certain brand or if i can just get the-

I'm suddenly cut off talking to myself when I realize I just toppled over someone fixing the cans of soup on the racks.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. Let me help you." I say, starting to pick up the cans on the floor.

"Oh, no it's okay. You're the customer, I'm the worker. Let me get it." I hear the mans voice say.

But, wait, I've heard that voice before. I look over and see who the voice fits.

"Alex?"

"Zoe. What are you doing here?" He says nervously.

"Buying diced tomatoes. The real question is what are you doing here? What happened to you family thing?" I say crossing my arms waiting for an explanation.

"Well, as you can see. I work here. I didn't want to tell you, because I was embarrassed."

"Embarrassed of what Alex? Everyone has a job. Why do I keep catching you in lies? Why can't you just tell the truth?"

"Keep catching me in lies? What do you mean?"

I sigh. "I know your dad doesn't work for Kara's dad. He has no record of a Collin Peterson."

"Why are you so interested in my father? Can't you just stay out of my family's business? Okay, it was a little lie. Get over it! If you're always going to be this nosy, then don't bother hanging around me." He says and puts the last can on the shelve angrily. He turns around to walk away.

"Alex wait, I'm sorry okay. I didn't mean to be nosy, you just don't need to lie to me. We're friends, you can tell me stuff."

Are we friends?

"Just because we hangout sometimes does not mean I'm going to tell you all of my life secrets Zoe. Stay out of my business." With that he walks away leaving me shocked.

All he has to do is tell the truth and this wouldn't even be a problem. He's overreacting. Maybe something happened to his fathers job, and he's trying to cover it up. But, I'm not even going to try to get it out of him. I grab my can of tomatoes, check out and head home. So much for having Alex over tonight.

***

I'm sitting at my desk in my room, trying to finish my homework for Monday when I hear a knock at my door. I take a look at my clock and see that it reads 3:00 A.M. Who would be up at this time? I get up and make my way to my door, and open it.

"Hey."

"Alex, what are you doing here?" I say shocked that he's here at 3:00 in the morning. How did he even get in?