ten

River Phoenix

This was the biggest protest I've ever seen. Millions and Millions of people everywhere. Our town's Pastor, Pastor Thomas, Ada, Ode, Mr. Martin, and Mrs.Martin were all there. And Dr. King was there too. It was a great day. And I wouldn't change it for the world. Ellamara took my hand as we sang songs about freedom and how we change this.

About three hours later I was sitting with Ellamara. At the very place where her parents took their last breath. She sat next to me and for a while we didn't say anything. Just sat there. Then spoke "Do your parents know?" She said. "yeah they do" I answered her. She took my hand and pulled me up. "I want to meet them" she said. If this was any other person I would laugh at them, but this is Ellamara I couldn't say no to her.

**********************************************

I opened the door to my parent's house. "Thank God you're home on time, River. I'm just about to bring out dinner." My mom says when I opened the door. "About dinner mom. I have a friend over right now, and can she come eat with us?" I ask. "Sure River bring her in right, I would love to meet her." She says. So I opened the door and little more, and all the color from her face goes away. "Hi Mrs. Phoenix" Ellamara says. My mom doesn't answer at first. I see her put on a fake smile. She shakes Ellamara hand. "Thank you for coming," my mom says, but we both know she is lying. The door opens again, and I turn to see my dad coming in. He's about to say something but he stops when he sees Ellamara. "River who is this?" He asks, rage in his eyes. I feel Ellamara take a step back. And I hate to see her like this. She looks nerve racking. "This is my friend Ellamara." I say. My dad looks at her with hate in his eyes. I've never seen him so bad before. "So this is the girl you been with, the girl that is taking all of your time." My dad says. "Dad stop it, Ellamara is here to eat dinner with us." I said. I turn my face to see Ellamara. She looks hesitant and unsure. "I'm not eating dinner with a black person. Black people are not like us River they are nothing, and will forever be nothing." He says. I'm about to give him a piece of my mine when I hear the door open. I turn to see Ellamara run out into the night.