One

River Phoenix

"Don't you care!" My mom yells from down stairs. "I do care!" My dad yells back. "He goes to the south side of town everyday" My mom said, rage surrounding her voice. My dad laughs, and I could tell he got by the sound of the chair moving. "Yeah right, River is a good boy. He wouldn't go against our wishes" He said. Then I heard footsteps walking away.

Opening my eyes to a dark room, I wanted to cuss. My mom was now on to me, but what she didn't know is why I went there. I got up and walked down stairs, to see my mom sitting on the couch eating a bowl of rice. "Hey Riv" She said, coming up to kiss me on the cheek. "Breakfast?" She asked. "Umm sorry mom, but I gotta go" I answered. I know that wasn't the answer she wanted, but I didn't care. She frowned at me, suspicion in her eyes.

**********************************

Fifteen minutes later I was with the Williams. Laughing, dancing, and singing to the best motown music there is. If my dad knew I was here, he would lose his mind. But I didn't care. I love being with the Williams. "Mrs. Williams can I have this dance" I ask her. Mrs. Williams is the nicest lady in the world. She is very short with blackish-grayish hair. She loves to dance and sing. Mr. Williams and her are the mom and dad every kid wants. "Ok show me what you got" she says. The song "Please Mr. Postman" by Marvelettes comes on, and we start dancing like there will be no tomorrow. Mrs. Williams is a great dancer, and it's hard to keep up with her, but I try.

After about ten minutes I'm done. I go to their dining room and sit at the table. I watch the Williams. The oldest is Ellamara Williams, and she is fourteen like me. She is cleaning the floors. The second oldest is Michael Williams, and he is playing with Freddie Williams. Michael is ten, and Freddie is nine. Mr. Williams is sitting on the couch, singing "I want you back" By the Jackson 5. And Mrs. Williams is cleaning the dishes. I walk up to her and move the dish out of her hand. She looks at me. "Mrs. Williams I'll do the dishes, you go over there and sit on the couch with your man." I say. This makes her smile, and she gives me a big kiss on the cheek. "River you're a good young man, never lose that" She tells me.

I'm still doing the dishes when Ellamara comes up to me. She put one hand around my middle and pulls hard. I fall on my butt, and she laughs. "It's not funny" I say. And she laughs harder. And in this moment I learn that there is no better place than the Williams house.

For the rest of the day we play songs, listening to music, eat Mrs. Williams food and talk. Ellamara and I are talking when Mr. Williams comes to sit right next to us on the couch. "Talk to me River" he says. So I do. I sit next to him on the couch. "Grade 8, right?" He said. "Yes, sir." I say back. He smiles, "no need to call me sir. I just have one question for you. Do you like Ellamara?" We're talking when Ellamara gets up to leave to help her mom cook dinner. When she leaves he asks me a question. "Do you like my daughter?" At first I want to lie to him, and tell him no. But he's Mr. William and I can't do that. So I play dumb, and asked "what do you mean?" He gives me an all to knowing smile and laughs. "I think you know what I mean son." I can feel my face getting hotter by the second, but I don't say anything. Then I speak because it's starting to get awkward. I tell him the true. "Well to be honest with you I like her, and I think she's a really nice girl but my parents would kill me if I ever dated a African American female." I cringed when I say that out loud because I know it makes my parents sound really bad. 

-------------------------------------

This is my 1st book ever!!!

I hope yall like it so far.